support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Rafael Navarro Bop Boy Metal Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

Actually, now I think about it, I know Navarro puts a concavity into the tables of his pieces, as does Ted Klum. This is something I am very doubtful about; I am not a technician and I bow to the expertise of these master mouthpiece makers, but, I can't help thinking that it's a dodgy thing to do. Looking back to my recent 'romance', I remember seeing water (i.e. spit) on the table when I took the reed off on a few occasions, perhaps the table had shifted....who knows, onward and upward :sax:

You won't have that problem with a JJDV.
image.jpg

I just got a black ebonite Maestra tenor piece... It's damn fine I can tell you...They are worthy of whatever hype is out there. This Navarro has something else. So far, I would recommend it well above anything else.

Actually, I'm going to qualify my last post a little...

I'm sending the Maestra back...
Mouthpiece speed dating

Somehow I feel a tad guilty and ashamed for the jilted Maestra

Yes, I'm a little shamefaced about it. But, I can't cope with a mouthpiece that squeaks, however good it is. All I can say at this point is - if it had been squeak free I would definitely have kept it because I really loved it otherwise!

Yes, I'm a little shamefaced about it. But, I can't cope with a mouthpiece that squeaks, however good it is. All I can say at this point is - if it had been squeak free I would definitely have kept it because I really loved it otherwise!

Is it worth trying another one of the same in case that was just a bad one?

Jx

Is it worth trying another one of the same in case that was just a bad one?
Jx

Definitely. I actually tested the facing with some feeler gauges and I found that the thinest gauge sat very very lopsided indeed and dropped below the start of the table. I have also seen this on Wanne metal pieces. I would have thought that the flexibility of the reed would accommodate this inaccuracy, but maybe not.

Did you test it first?

??? Did I test what? Sorry not with you. I bought it by 'tinterweb if that's what you mean.

Definitely. I actually tested the facing with some feeler gauges and I found that the thinest gauge sat very very lopsided indeed and dropped below the start of the table. I have also seen this on Wanne metal pieces. I would have thought that the flexibility of the reed would accommodate this inaccuracy, but maybe not.

??? Did I test what? Sorry not with you. I bought it by 'tinterweb if that's what you mean.
Did you test it first? The mouthpiece! You bought off Dawkes website?

Did you test it first? The mouthpiece! You bought off Dawkes website?

Sorry, still not clear what you mean. How could I have tested it before I bought it, since I ordered it on the web?
I tested the facing with a feeler gauge after I had been playing it for a day or so.

Anyway, upshot is that I spoke this evening with a very pleasant bloke from Dawkes who is going to send me a #7 Maestra, the only other Maestra they have in stock. Hopefully it will play well.

I did not know you had ordered the mouthpiece off the net without trying one first! The guys at Dawkes are excellent chaps, I know Sam and Matt very well as they are my local store. Professor Anton Weinberg also designs the Windcraft range os mouthpieces and is extremely helpful.

Hi Dave, I picked mine up from Dawkes almost a week ago. Absolute killer mouthpiece! Gets better everyday. I'm doing long tones and thinking about my air flow a bit to get the most out of it, but it's easy. Tried both V16 and RJS reeds (I think I prefer RJS 2h filed on my 7*). No squeaks, just an amazingly dark, powerful sound that stands out from all the rest. I did find that the Ishamori ligature was a big step up from the Rovner light that I was using though.

Hi Dave, I picked mine up from Dawkes almost a week ago. Absolute killer mouthpiece! Gets better everyday. I'm doing long tones and thinking about my air flow a bit to get the most out of it, but it's easy. Tried both V16 and RJS reeds (I think I prefer RJS 2h filed on my 7*). No squeaks, just an amazingly dark, powerful sound that stands out from all the rest. I did find that the Ishamori ligature was a big step up from the Rovner light that I was using though.

Did you get a 7* Maestra in Black Ebonite?

Welcome to the café Phil, why not introducing yourself in the doorbell section?
Your big experience will be much appreciated on this forum.
(note: I know Phil64 personally and we often sat together in big bands)

Back to topic... I suspect that Phil's piece might be the very same that David sent back.

I should do a sax mouthpiece review buzzword generator that will create instant reviews using phrases such as 'free blowing' 'lush low end' 'warm and full' 'effortless altissimo' 'scooped side rails' 'great projection' etc -
in a similar vein to this -
http://pitchforkreviewgenerator.com/
http://www.artybollocks.com/
or I could charge £25 an hour plus reeds to review your mouthpieces for you to save you the effort of actually playing them

I thought projection had to be "terrific"
You might be employed by Sequoia UK: our marketing department is stuck with "play it, like it, buy it".
Art statement generator is pure genius.

Welcome to the café Phil, why not introducing yourself in the doorbell section?
Your big experience will be much appreciated on this forum.
(note: I know Phil64 personally and we often sat together in big bands)

Back to topic... I suspect that Phil's piece might be the very same that David sent back.

Thank you Al, Yes I think you may be right. Rafy didn't send a large stock of his mouthpieces to the UK, but I think he wants to do more. I was going to order a Bahia or Bop Boy online because I need to play loud, so I emailed him with some questions and that's how I ended up getting the Maestra from Dawkes. I didn't play a Bahia but the Maestra's for me. Any one that has questions should email him, he's a good guy and deeply passionate about his mouthpieces.

Thank you Al, Yes I think you may be right. Rafy didn't send a large stock of his mouthpieces to the UK, but I think he wants to do more. I was going to order a Bahia or Bop Boy online because I need to play loud, so I emailed him with some questions and that's how I ended up getting the Maestra from Dawkes. I didn't play a Bahia but the Maestra's for me. Any one that has questions should email him, he's a good guy and deeply passionate about his mouthpieces.
Is "Rafy" the designer of the mouthpieces?

Back
Top Bottom