support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Questions on sound, reeds and teachers

Gallen

Locality
Montreal, QC, Canada.
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions, here goes:

- I'm reading stuff on forums e.g the sound is "mellow", "complex", "rich", "soft", "warm", "dark", what exactly do these sound like? :)

- I bought a Vandoren ZZ 3 1/2 reed by mistake. It's too hard for me to use, how can I store it for possible future use?

- I am currently happily using regular Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds, could I get some recommendations for synthetic reeds that will offer similar hardness (I guess that's the term?)?

- Teacher! I'm looking forward to get a teacher come the new year. I work in Soho, London. Does anyone have a recommendation for any of the london teachers listed on this site?

Edit: I play with a Hanson SA5, BG Lig and Vandoren AL5, Vandoren 2 1/2 atm

Thanks!

Alvin

Last edited by a moderator:
The short answers to the first three, as I see it, are:

1. Depends on the listener. Except for highland bagpipes. Nearly everyone agrees on "piercing". Determining the meaning of these words is part of what keeps mouthpiece, reed and neck makers in business.

2. Keep in a safe dry place.

3. There are many reed comparison charts on the web. Just google "reed comparison".

Hello Alvin and welcome. One guys light is an other's dark, and so on. Not a lot of help there then:) You could try a Rico Plasticover to check out synthetics. These are Rico Royal cane reeds coated in plastic.

jim.

Beckmesser: Ah, it's all relative then. I get curious when such terms are used and have no idea what they're supposed to mean :-/ Thanks for the reed hardness comparison - I'll google it right up!

Jim: Thanks for the welcome :) So it seems everything's relative. I may be popping in to my local sax shop, could give that a go. Thanks!

Alvin

hi and welcome
i to am a newbie the terms they use for the sound i think is just a term of how you feel the sound most you can sort of guess like light or dark pretty obivous and so on .
think of the sound and what do you think of when you say soft or hard when you play it is the sound rather than an note.
i know when i first started i did'nt play i squarked and make very sharp noise, but now it is starting to improve and getting a better noise that i am getting happier with.
all the best and keep asking those questions
pip

Hey Hey Gallen ...

I am a Souf London ..er [former Tooting Boy] who moved to Norfolk ten years ago ... [for some peace and quiet] ...

Jus be bloody careful mate ... ;}

Can you imagine ...

You bound into "Your local Sax [Sex] Shop in Soho" announce that you are looking for a real good read ... You would really prefer a slightly softer one, as the one you use at the moment is a bit too hard for you ... >:)

And to cap it all - you're in the market for a good teacher to help you make some Saxy Music ... :w00t:

Take care my friend ... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I should perhaps add that different mouthpiece/reed combinations can and do produce a different sound. No question about that. But there are many arguments about the application of the words you have mentioned to whatever sound is being produced. Don't let it worry you. Spend more time practicing instead. a

Hi all!
@Pip: Cheers from a fellow beginner :) I can see slight improvement so far, just gotta keep going :)

@Sunray: lol I know where you are coming from. I had lunch in soho the other day, and when I told my colleagues I was "going to the sax shop" they were non-plused, that I had the appetite for that after a big meal and I only had a few minutes left on the clock. Things clicked after I said "Saxophone shop" to clarify things :)

@Beckmesser: I've only tried a hemke (2) and vandoren (2, 2.5, 3) and the hemke does sound quite different, much more er... "warmer" to my ears :D The good vandoren reed I have though, starts up easily. And yes, I will definitely practice! I do have a mouthpiece silencer from jazzlab to practice the mouthpiece for when I arrive home later in the evenings.

Oh, also, after reading up on alot of reed comparison discussion in forums, I've settled on the Legere Signature synthetic, mainly based off Pete's recommendations on this site. Got it off reeds direct, hopefully I can try it later tonight :)

Cheers!

Just an update, I received my Legere Signature 2.5 today, and it's awesome! Mainly that I can play off the bat is just so good. It does change the sound a fair bit, I've got to try it against my vandorens to see what I prefer. Till then, ta!

Back
Top Bottom