All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Pretty old to be a beginner?

ESJohn

Great to have you!! You're way too young to be saying you're too old! I must confess that I've not heard of an areophone. Tell us what led you to that! See, you've taught at least one of us something already!

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Welcome. I hope I'm still learning new things if I get to my 70's. I might even eventually learn to play the Saxophone if and when i get there! :rolleyes:

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Dread to think what playing the tenor viola da gamba makes me - geek of the week?
Yep! :popcorn:
[/QUOTE]
I hope you realize that I was kidding. I personally think it’s great that some members play other instruments. It makes them more interesting and versatile players.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I hope you realize that I was kidding. I personally think it’s great that some members play other instruments. It makes them more interesting and versatile players.
[/QUOTE]
Yes - it's fine, not a problem. :)

OP
S

SamWattRock

Great to have you!! You're way too young to be saying you're too old! I must confess that I've not heard of an areophone. Tell us what led you to that! See, you've taught at least one of us something already!
I played bass in my high school stage band as well as cello in the orchestra and ran into one of the sax players from those classes on FB. He had made a career of music. As we were reminiscing, I told him I'd thought about learning a wind instrument after being self-taught on soprano recorder, and had just got a little plastic J-sax. He was the one that encouraged me to get a MIDI wind controller. I had never heard of them.

I figured a decent alto or tenor was going to be beyond my budget, and I didn't want to go poking around in pawn shops looking at things I didn't understand, so I took his advice. I couldn't find the discontinued Yamaha that he had, so opted for the Roland instead. It was less than $500. Alistair Parnell has some demo and tutorial videos on YouTube, if you're curious.

It's pretty cool as I can easily take it with me. It has a bluetooth connection. It has built-in sounds that are ok with little speakers and a headphone jack, so I can practice without other gear anywhere, and the phone app has some OK sounds that I can plug into an amp or my car radio. I had a 20+ year old Alesis NanoSynth gathering dust on the closet's top shelf and bought some new patches for it for the wind controller (from Patchman), and it has a lot of fine sounds, but it needs a battery and forgets everything when I unplug it, but there are more up-to-date MIDI synths that probably work a lot better.

My goal is to get to where I can read, play scales and arpeggios, and feel comfortable with the Eb transposition, then save for a real alto, then (in a galaxy far, far away) a tenor.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom