My first CD player with A-B repeat button gave me the "Where have you been all my life?" feeling. Not so good for the neighbours when I was learning "Take five". 🙉🤬
Could have been worse, my neighbors had to put up with me learning Ascension.My first CD player with A-B repeat button gave me the "Where have you been all my life?" feeling. Not so good for the neighbours when I was learning "Take five". 🙉🤬
A creative person is helping out to "practice improvising". I have always been open for new inputs. When I was playing football, working as chef, playing the saxophone, building ....... . I learned songs by recording, reel to reel, a song 8-10 times from the radio/grammophone. Less rewinding ..... . I also took down the speed on the reel to reel and played it an octave lower on sax. It helped me because lots of songs were in concert E and A, even concert B. I got used to play in F#/C#, B/F#, C#/G# without knowing what I did. I learned that later. My sax became best friends with the electric guitar. I played sax in a guitar style. This was a slow way to learn. The new technique/equipment is better but I often meet players that are good players but I think thier tone/sound is too mainstream.This meant (for me) a whole lot of 'tape playing, stopping, rewinding and re-playing'.
This seems to be basically describing two different genres, as opposed to improvising in general, or improvising in one specific genre.
- Some people feel that improvised music should be free from pre-conceived ideas and be spontaneous, in-the moment.
- Others feel that practicing licks and patterns (“all 12 keys!”) and doing transcribing is very important and is key to successful improvisation.
