support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Ppt soprano mp

jazzadoni

Hello all,

I don't know if that's the regular price for the PPT soprano mp as I notice a sale is underway. I would like to buy one for my Yani 992. I already have a metal yani S5. I am interested in either a PPT 6 or 7. Any one with experience playing the PPT, Please give me some guidance in terms of what would be a good set up (reed size) for this mouth piece in either size. Which one would be freer blowing?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I trialled a PPT 6 prototype some time ago - for a slightly livelier vibe I found a Marca Jazz 2.5 was good. For a slightly darker vibe I found an Alexander DC 2.5 was great. FWIW I described the PPT soprano as being almost equivalent to a Berg Larsen 1 1/2 chamber.

Noticed this on SOTW: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?173853-Review-PPT-soprano

Last edited by a moderator:
The PPT soprano is the best sop mouthpiece I've ever played. I tried a 6 and ended up buying a 7. The 6 was, for me, just slightly too narrow - it felt like I was struggling against it a bit. Stil a very fine mouthpiece, and if anything slightly better in the high notes than the 7. The 7 plays great, well in tune with a smooth tone, but with edge if pushed. It manages an uncanny ability to be shaped by the player to agreater extent than other sop pieces I've had. I also use a RJS 2H like Nick, with whatever lig comes to hand - currently it has a solid metal ring lig on it.

I trialled a PPT 6 prototype some time ago - for a slightly livelier vibe I found a Marca Jazz 2.5 was good. For a slightly darker vibe I found an Alexander DC 2.5 was great. FWIW I described the PPT soprano as being almost equivalent to a Berg Larsen 1 1/2 chamber.

:thumb:
Noticed this on SOTW: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?173853-Review-PPT-soprano

I notice most of the reviews on the SOP PPT mp are on the PPT 6. From the replies I've gotten, which I appreciate, I can't go wrong with either size.

The PPT soprano is the best sop mouthpiece I've ever played. I tried a 6 and ended up buying a 7. The 6 was, for me, just slightly too narrow - it felt like I was struggling against it a bit. Stil a very fine mouthpiece, and if anything slightly better in the high notes than the 7. The 7 plays great, well in tune with a smooth tone, but with edge if pushed. It manages an uncanny ability to be shaped by the player to agreater extent than other sop pieces I've had. I also use a RJS 2H like Nick, with whatever lig comes to hand - currently it has a solid metal ring lig on it.

You are not the first one to say it's the best one out there. I've yet to read a bad review about it. At least when I do buy it, and God forbids I sound bad playing with it; I will know for sure it's not the horn nor the PPT piece, but the man in the mirror.:)

I think I will go for the 7, but I have a question for you if you don't mind. The 6 is slightly better in the high notes than the 7, do you mean the altisimmo notes or high C to the palm key notes? :confused:

You are not the first one to say it's the best one out there. I've yet to read a bad review about it. At least when I do buy it, and God forbids I sound bad playing with it; I will know for sure it's not the horn nor the PPT piece, but the man in the mirror.:)

I think I will go for the 7, but I have a question for you if you don't mind. The 6 is slightly better in the high notes than the 7, do you mean the altisimmo notes or high C to the palm key notes? :confused:

Soprano altissimo, watch out dogs.I'm a altissimo freak but on soprano it can be painfull

My dog says no! He has been listening to me on soprano sax over the past few days and does love to join in, especially with the upper octave - very musical German Pointer - but has enjoyed my new Son of Slant.

In the PPT soprano passaround thread several people who had tried the 6 seemed to find it had some resistance and expressed an interest in trying/purchasing a 7, including myself (though my main Soprano Planet Via Coro has a smaller tip opening - 0.056" and is both freer blowing and quite loud.

I was referring to the palm key notes - D up to F#. But that might have been just me, another player might find it different.

I never play altissimo on sop. In fact, the only sax I play altissimo on regularly is tenor. Occasionally alto and C mel (yes, really), but never soprano.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom