support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT metal mpc?

I did mention somewhere else I was working on this. It is still very much a prototype. That was just a bit of a teaser.

I am suitably excited as it looks bright, shiny and saxophone-related (it doesn't take much). The body looks to be a cool shape (a bit like the sterling silver Brendan Tibbs pieces) - I think it is a good idea to make your mouthpiece distinctive in some way, either by colour, or shape or ligature design (think Lawtons or the Onyxite PPTs).

Is that something you are working on with Ed Pillinger and would the internal design be the same as the existing PPT ? And I wonder whether it is machined from solid bar, done from a casting or uses an existing blank.

Rhys

Is that something you are working on with Ed Pillinger and would the internal design be the same as the existing PPT ? And I wonder whether it is machined from solid bar, done from a casting or uses an existing blank.

Rhys

Still prototyping AORN, but as Pete said the internals will be very very similar. I'm CNC machining these out of solid bar and hand finishing.

Still prototyping AORN, but as Pete said the internals will be very very similar. I'm CNC machining these out of solid bar and hand finishing.

Very interesting. Is your Avatar picture a CAD drawing of a different design of yours ?

I look forward to the day when a player can customise their own mouthpiece with a few parameters entered into a CAD package and they will get their very own and unique design. Or is that just a (mouth)pipe dream ?

Rhys

Very interesting. Is your Avatar picture a CAD drawing of a different design of yours ?

I look forward to the day when a player can customise their own mouthpiece with a few parameters entered into a CAD package and they will get their very own and unique design. Or is that just a (mouth)pipe dream ?

Probably not, they can now print a half decent flute:

Last edited:

Yeah, that's a new large chambered piece of my own design I'll have for sale very shortly.

Rhys

This is an idea I have toyed with, actually. Can't figure a way to do it that isn't prohibitively expensive. Yet. Big problem is how do you know what you want? CAD models are precise; IRL we think "a bit larger chamber", but how much is a bit? 2mm? .2mm? You could easily spend an awful lot of time and money trying things that almost work and still be stuck.

Probably not, they can now print a half decent flute:

This is similar to the 3d printing I used for prototyping these. Printing in metal is still too expensive for what we do. But eventually the price on EBM (electron beam melting) should come down enough to make it feasible. Not in this decade, though, I expect. Very impressive technology.