support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ponds - a fishy tale

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Anyone into ponds? I have two, a wildlife pond at the bottom of the garden with frogs , newts and little wiggly waterbugs.

I also have a small ornamental pond which for years (at least 15) had a lovely Golden Orfe. Over the years he became like one of the family this Orfe, so much so he had a name. ("Fishy").

We got to know and love him. Sadly it seems so did a heron (or maybe it was a seagull).

But here is something also sad. The pond had a pump which fed the water up to a waterfall. Soon after Fishy went to fishy heaven, we saw a newt in the pond.

Then we didn't

Then the pump stopped working.

Then, when dismantling the pump, I found the newt (wrapped around the impellor :( )

The dilemma now is:

• Do we get a new fish, knowing Mr Heron is just waiting.
  • No new fish but worry about newts gmeeting a grisly death (hmmm is the pump impellor worse then being eaten?)
  • Newt-proof the pump?

Pond owners, what would you do?

Newt proof the pump and heron proof the pond.
Yes, I've ordered some fine mesh for the pump.

I don't kinow how to heron proof though, apart from covering the pond in chicken wire (like we do to deter autumn leaves) but that looks horrible in place all summer so negates much value in having a pond. :confused2:

Last edited:
You need to set up a heron watch:

ack-ack.jpeg

Either that lady has not been trained in the use of binoculars or she's checking no one has put shoe polish on the eyepieces.
What happens if she shouts 'Duck'?

My missus is the pond keeper and she does frogs and snails with her lilies and assorted water weeds.
The birds of prey can often be seen circling with drooling beaks but up to now no aquatic beasts have gone missing.

You can buy dark pond netting which is pretty unobtrusive. I had si
E covering a large pond. Don’t leave ANY gaps round the edges tho. Herons will wait at the smallest gaps and hook out the next “Fishy”. Good luck.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom