support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Play us something!

mike31

Hi, lets make an ipotetical: you are walking home with your sax and suddenly meet a group of non-musicians friends. They tell you: "Come on, play us something!"

What you are gonna play? And more important, how you will play it?

You have no backing tracks and there are no other instruments there, just you and your sax.

The only sax a carry with me (ok, sometimes I take the bari with me as well) so I would like would try some short part from a ballad tenorsong/-solo:

Jungleand (saxsolo part) ( Bruce Springsteen)
Summer On Signal Hill (Bruce Springsteen)
Road To Paradise (C. Clemons/J.Dillon/D.Shea)
Going Home (theme from "Local Hero") (M. Knopfler)
Harlem Nocturne (E. Hagen)
Lonely For You (A.Tyler)

Thomas

Hi, lets make an ipotetical: you are walking home with your sax and suddenly meet a group of non-musicians friends. They tell you: "Come on, play us something!"

What you are gonna play? And more important, how you will play it?

You have no backing tracks and there are no other instruments there, just you and your sax.

Hey Mike,

Well, one of the biggest advantages of the sax, in my opinion, is that it´s an instrument that can be played solo and sound great all by itself.

As an example, you can´t play solo guitar (without chords) all day long without getting a bit bored.

So, the lack of other instruments wouldn´t be a problem at all; not with the sax.

How about these friends? What kind of music they enjoy? Do you want to impress them or just play something from the heart?

Personally, I would just improvise a slow tune, full of long spiritual notes to create a climate and then finish with a fast tricky passage just to show off some skills. ;)

Cheers,

Raf.

"Play something we all know!"
In this case, Mr. Tony Coe suggests the National Anthem.

I usually end up playing "Autumn Leaves" regretting my choice on the nineteenth bar.

And by the way... In a group of people... "Hi, what's your job?" "I am a cook in a restaurant" "Great! Why don't you cook us something?" (The same applies to plumbers, undertakers, policemen...)

Can't count. What happens at the 19th bar, no don't tell me, you fall over.
10_7_5.gif

if I was was walking home with my sax and I bumped into a group of friends, they'd know better than to ask me to play something, such is my reputation..

If they are real friends they would not ask you to work for free. They would buy you a drink, since saxophone players are traditionally broke.