All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones I found something... but I haven't a clue what! =D

ccatania

Hello all! I'm brand new to this site, and I stumbled upon it after purchasing a saxophone today, and I was hoping that somebody might be able to give me a bit of help. I bought it at an auction because it just looked very unusual and attractive. But, after leaving, I was told that I got something that might have a little bit of value. But, here's the problem... I have no idea what I have. I know that I have an alto saxophone made by Antigua Winds in what I think is a black nickel finish. It looks like this: http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/520bc/as3220bq.htm

However I can't find a model number on the instrument. Does anybody know where I'd find that?

And, in the bottom of the case, I found a Berg Larsen mouthpiece that I have been told is for a baritone saxophone. But, other than that, I don't know anything about it, except for the numbers 115/2/SMS, but again, I have no idea what it means. Can anybody tell me anything about any of these pieces? Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

I've tried to put a photo up here of the actual item, but it won't let me, so if you PM me, I can show you what I found =)

Thanks again for any possible help!!
~Chuck

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Antigua's a US brand, sourced like most saxes these days, in the far east. Never seen one, but they seem to have a good reputation. Depending on what you paid, condition etc. you may have got a bargain. But you haven't picked up a valuable rarity.

Black nickel finish looks really good. Especially with gold keys/fittings.

Berg Larsen mouthpieces are pretty good and one of the standards. It's not going to help you if you've bought an alto - which I assume you have based on the web link & comment. But it's a bit odd to buy an alto and find a bari mouthpiece. You say the sax is unusual looking, could be you bought a bari, which has more bends that the alto tenor you usually see.

Suggest you got it to a sax shop/technician, get it checked over and get a decent mouthpiece/reeds to start playing with. Usual recommendations here are Yamaha 4c, Rico Royal B3 or B5 and Runyon 22. If it is a baritone Berg, you should be able to cover the costs by selling that on. Don't foget a decent strap, either.

Maybe the shop can recommend a good teacher in your area - helps a lot! Arrange a trial lesson first to check you're both on the same wavelength.

Have fun! And let us know how you get on.

Justin Chune

That sax looks brand new and the discounted price on Dave Kessler's web site is $1549. I hope you got a bargain. Enjoy it.

Jim.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom