support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recipes Pitta Bread

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Anyone had much luck making homemade pittas/ flat breads? I've taken to making my own houmus and feel bespoke pittas would complete the set.. OK, I know the basic theory but if anyone's got any hands on tips.....

Not tried pittas

Have tried naans, old Madhur Jaffrey recipe

If there's any similarity in the baking process you'll need a pre-heated baking tray, or pizza stone or range oven with hot floor

If you want to try Tortilla's. This recipe works well and we use as base for a couple of dishes.

http://www.food.com/recipe/flour-tortilla-recipe-204109

For some reason the link produced an unformed page so here are the important bits

Flour Tortilla Recipe

Prep Time: 5-10min, 30min resting in fridge, and time to roll

Cook Time: 5 mins

Ingredients:

Units: US | Metric

2 cups flour (you can get creative with your flour choices like whole wheat, spelt, soy, or a mixture of flours)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup vegetable shortening or 1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup warm water (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup) or 1/2 cup milk (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup)

Directions:

1 Sift the flour, salt & baking powder into a large mixing bowl.

2 Into the dry ingredients cut in the shortening, or add oil if you are using this option, & mix with your fingertips to combine.

3 Add the milk or water, working the liquid into the dough until a sticky ball forms.

( I replace steps 1-3 by adding all ingredients into blender, turn on and add water slowly until it turns into little balls and starts to form dough. I then tip onto bench, form dough and kneed for a few minutes.

4 Wrap in plastic and let rest for at least 30 minutes.

5 Divide the dough into 8-10 balls (for small tortillas) or 6-8 balls for larger ones, cover them again with the damp cloth.

6 Lightly dust a counter or pastry board w/flour & roll out each ball of dough into a circle or oval approximately 1/4" thick. If you want nicely rounded tortillas, trim off any ragged edges & discard. Don't roll the dough out more than once or the tortillas will be tough.

( I found, if there are two people in kitchen it's best for one to roll and the other to cook (saves lots of time). If make alone, grease proof paper between tortilla's will stops them sticking together before cooking)

7 Heat a dry griddle or heavy skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Cook the tortillas 30 seconds on each side or until the dough looks dry & slightly wrinkled & a few brown spots form on both surfaces. Do not over cook or they will be hard. Butter and roll up and wrap in damp tea towel to keep warm as you cook the other tortillas.

8 (I place cooked ones wrapped in the damp towel in a low 200 oven to keep warm, while I am cooking the rest.) Serve warm.

Hi Jules,

My Sue makes a great pitta. She does it in the breadmaker on pizza setting and then slaps the dough on a really hot pizza stone at 240c plus. The pittas puff up immediately and they are flipped over after about two minutes to cook the other side. Watch out for the trapped steam though, I get more burns from these johnnies than I do from hot glass.
We eat them with Houmous, felafel, and tahini dressing.

9oz wholemeal and plain flour (50/50) half a teaspoon of dried yeast, teaspoon sugar water and salt.Sue sometimes puts a couple of teaspoons of yoghurt in the water to make the dough more elastic.
Make the dough in your breadmaker on pizza setting and when ready make four large pittas, slap them on a hot stone for two or three minutes until they resemble puffer fish. If you don't have a breadmaker make the dough as you would a pizza
kneading it until very elastic.

Andy

Panasonic SD 256. It's built like a battleship and makes really good bread. I use it every 2 or 3 days and it is very reliable. This is our second Panasonic and they are very good. Don't go for the ones that have an ingredient shute as they can go wrong.

Jeeeeeez you Brits spell it with two t's ? !

Τι κρίμα !

(po, po, po......)
xrima!.jpg

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom