PPT mouthpieces

Rock & Pop Pink Floyd with Candy Dulfer

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Locality
Just north of Munich
Just came across this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this a while ag when I first learning the parts for Dark Side of the Wall and I have to say that no matter how much I like Miss Dulfers playing, I really don't like this version. I know she keeps vaguely to the original, it's just too....um... twiddly for me. I don't think she was asked back to do more either :w00t:

First time or two I found the same, but it grows on you. But I agree, Dick Parry's take is much better.

Back to the practice room for me ;} One day I may do it justice :)))

I like it...
But I some how bypassed Floyd in my teens and there after when many of my friends loved them. I don't think I had any patience and couldn't get passed 30 secs of a track.

So my opinion is that of a person who's thinks he's neutral but probably has slight bias and loyalty toward Candy.

Also, as someone who sports no hair myself, I think Dave Gilmour looks much cooler with hair. This is probably the first time I've seen him with hair (such is my attention to Floyd). There has been a fair amount of footage over the past few years on the box where he has not so much... and thats the only reason I know.
Oh well....off to track down the Dick Parry version now then ...ta!!ra!!

I do think that a Tenor Sax would have been better and something that kept a similar pace to the rest of the song - needed a Snake Davis or Pete Thomas really. I understand why I never got into Pink Floyd listening to this but an interesting post nevertheless.

I understand why I never got into Pink Floyd.

I'm not one to try and convert others to my tastes: it's a joy that tastes differ to the degree that they do. But sometimes I like to share what has moved me.

So, for me this clip is just incredible. The man is so at ease, as if the audience are guests in his living room. His musicality and intensity shines through.

And I can't leave off the other bookend of "Crazy Diamond" from the same concert.

No offence taken about you in any way liking Pink Floyd - did not feel any attempt at being converted. I just think that Candy Dulfers improvisation was ill-judged and that Alto Sax was not the best choice for a solo.

Kind regards
Tom

NP Tom, just reflects my instinctive reaction to your comment: "you may not like Pink Floyd .... but but but, have a listen to THIS clip". ;} And I agree, alto not a good choice in this context.

Dick Parry played with pf for a long time, had his own impact and influence on them musically to some degree or other.

IMO Candy played some nice phrases but her take on the overall feel of the song wasnt quite on the same page as the rest of the band.

I agree wholeheartedly that Pete would have done an awesome solo. He has agreat feel for the genre and gets it.

Back
Top Bottom