support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Peter King - Flying High

nakedlunch

Hi all,

Has anyone read/reading Peter King's autobiography? It came out last week. It really is a gripping read and a real insight into not only his life but also the jazz scene from the late 50's onwards. I am 2/3rds of the way through.

Hi all,

Has anyone read/reading Peter King's autobiography? It came out last week. It really is a gripping read and a real insight into not only his life but also the jazz scene from the late 50's onwards. I am 2/3rds of the way through.

Where did you buy it from--can't find it anywhere.
Regards.

Where did you buy it from--can't find it anywhere.
Regards.

Hi there,

I bought it at the launch in Ronnie Scott's. Waterstones should be able to order one in for you. Are you London based? If so maybe Foyles on Charing Cross Road will have one or maybe he will be selling copies at his gigs?

I too bought it upstairs at Ronnies, so that accounts for about a quarter of the audience.
My first time at a book launch, surely they are not all as ramshackle and low-key as that? I thought it all a bit embarassing and amateurish.

Not the great literary work that wassisname, Peter King's interviewer, described but the very interesting story of a World class musician that is well worth telling.
Having avidly watched him perform since the early 1980's I wanted to know more, and the book did just that for me.
I could be wrong, but I don't imagine Peter King hawking his books at gigs, I think him too reticent/shy for that.

He's at Googlies Jazz Club on Thursday May 26th, for those within striking distance of Enfield/Potters Bar etc.
May see you there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There, Thanks for that its on my to read list - Checked Amazon they seem to be out of stock!!!

You can order it from any bookshop or look for the publisher's website northwaybooks.com. I have to declare an interest as I am the publisher. You should not have to pay more than £20 for this book if you are in the UK. Ann

Hello Ann
Do you think it might have been useful and business-like to quote the book reference number which is ISBN 978-0-9550908-9-9

I was one of the few at the shambolic 'launch' at Ronnie Scott's .
This is another example of failure of people he trusts to promote him, which is so ironically recorded in the book.

It is nice, in this day and age, to have someone admit responsibility.
Thanks Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap at half the price ...

You can order it from any bookshop or look for the publisher's website northwaybooks.com. I have to declare an interest as I am the publisher. You should not have to pay more than £20 for this book if you are in the UK. Ann

Hello Ann [Nice to meet you] ;}

Why is it that some organisations charge such high [outrageous] prices.

Have you seen my post [No 7] in this thread ...

It seems that Waterstones Marketplace have reduced the price they expect for this book from £139.59 to a mere £100.10

I thoroughly enjoyed hs playing at the Club 606 Tribute gig for Martin Drew this week. I'd never heard or seen Peter before but he was awesome, so effortless and such mastery. He didn't look very well and perhaps was a bit down on out and out energy but he played a really interesting and enjoyable set and was really good value. Mind you, it was an awesome line up with Mornington Lockett on later joined by Art Themen and some other old legends and each band was full of top names on 'rhythm'.