• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Recording PC Soundcard advice

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Messages
8,990
Location
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I had no idea where to post this so please move it if it is in the wrong area. I am getting a new computer and I would like to upgrade my soundcard at the same time. Does anyone have any "sound advice" [pun intended]. My budget would probably be up to $200 (£132). Thanks.
 
My pal put one of these in a while back. Great sound....ASUS XONAR Essence STX 5.1-Channel PCI Sound Card
Thanks. I have been looking at those on Amazon, and they are in my price range.

You might consider an external soundcard or device as you wouldn't need to replace it should you upgrade [or so you could use it on a second [older]? PC].

external pc sound card - Google Search
I hadn't considered an external sound card. Is there any advantage besides it being more portable?

If you use that computer to record, why not something like this (I thought you had one)?
Scarlett 2i2 | Focusrite

Maybe there is something better available now.
Originally I started out with the Mackie Onyx preamp and mixer that connected via a "firewire" connector. Then everyone was talking about USB mics so I bought a USB adaptor for my Shure SM57 and have been using that instead since Audacity gives me the same type of controls the Mackie did.
 
People may start laughing, but latest Behringer products such as this one at a jaw dropping price ,

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC...-4-catcorr&keywords=behringer+audio+interface

have a real MIDAS preamp.

I did a small gig and the sound guy had an X18 console with Midas Preamps, all controlled by an iPad.
This might sound like a laugh for purists, but this mixer had serious balls. These preamps are as good as they can get for under grand $1000 - all-in-one-box ones.

Also the Behringer thingy has a MIDI in port in case you want to record keyboards with a plugin/library. 🙂

The Scarlet interface is also wonderful as well if you can find one!!!
 
Since Kev moved this thread, I go thinking that it might help the Cafe to have a "sound equipment" or maybe "audio electronics" category. There seems to be quite a bit of discussion about microphones and mixers and related "stuff". It is not really saxophone equipment as such, but it plays a big part in what we do here at the cafe.
 
Since Kev moved this thread, I go thinking that it might help the Cafe to have a "sound equipment" or maybe "audio electronics" category.

I've added the prefix, mics/electronic. @Pete Thomas has set prefixes in some forums and we discussed these at the time of creation but hard to cover everything without having too many. Hope this helps 🙂

Jx
 
i have used a roland external soundcard for ages now. i recommend an external soundcard because it makes the ins and outs more flexible. there seems to be no real problem with latency. i plug an analogue audio mixer into the soundcard and take the usb feed from the computer and combine the 2 to record to an external master recorder. this makes a good recording system, but a more conventional approach would have you plugging mike or line into the external soundcard and thus into the computer to record through usb. as i say, i think the external soundcard approach gives greater flexibility.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,264
Messages
576,165
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom