support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recipes Pasta With Beans

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Here's a household favourite in my neck of the woods...

Fusilli or other pasta shapes
Potatoes
panchetta bits
Celery sticks
Basil leaves
olive oil
Stock- chicken or vegetable (or a stock cube)
A Can of Bortolli Beans (per 2 people)

I'm not one for measuring so quantities are a bit vague.

Start by frying up 2 chopped cloves of garlic, the pancetta and 2 finely chopped stalks of celery in olive oil in a big pan. after about 5 minutes cook down, add cubed spuds (about 1cm x 1cm), enough for (...) people and cook for about another minute. add pasta shapes(for ... people), stock, 3/4 of the Borlotti beans and a couple of ripped up basil leaves. plus salt and black pepper (freshly ground is loads better)...
Cook till the pasta and spuds are done (approx 15 minutes). mash the rest of the beans and add to the liquid as a thickener. Serve in bowls with ciabatta and a drizzle of good olive oil on top (that last touch really does make a difference)

I'm not one for measuring so quantities are a bit vague.

Absolutely fine, I'm all for vague quantities in jazz recipes. Iy allows a more personal interpretation.

Absolutely fine, I'm all for vague quantities in jazz recipes. Iy allows a more personal interpretation.
It's a jam... er, no it's not, it's a pasta dish!! boom boom!:D

well, this is an Italian classic and there are many variations on the theme local or familial.

However in its simplest form it requires mixed pasta (either make that wit the left over of different packages or buy, if available already mixed)
here illustrated by a similar recipe " Pasta e Ceci" (Pasta and chickpeas),

G05_Pasta_mista_ceci_e_gamberetti.JPG

we also have " Pasta e Piselli" (pieces of pancetta are mandatory here) ," Pasta e Patate " (also pancetta and pecorino cheese), " Pasta e Zucca", " Pasta e lenticchie ".........

Anyway, back to the simple and basic " Pasta e fagioli "

Here you use Cannellini beans or any other long, white beans, not really butter beans unless you are desperate.

Cook the beans after soaking overnight and retain some of the cooking water , you can use canned beans too.

you'll need 500gr. Cannellini beans, get a couple of cloves of garlic and put them together with the boiled beans add the pasta and add some of the hot cooking water of the beans (or just hot water if they are canned) just to cover the pasta, add one table spoon of salt bring to a simmer on a low fire and cook until the pasta is almost " al dente" (so not quite cooked) leave it in the pot , remove the garlic, add half a glass of the best olive oil that you can buy and half a medium sized raw onion , wait 5 minutes , add half a cup of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley. Pepper and (if you want more) salt, buon appetito!

When shivering in Yorkshire, on the side of Slipten Fell, I got into stews, hot-pots, and seriously fulsome curries.
Now that autumn has arrived in southern Spain, I can enjoy more hot food -- tonight's experiment was "Curry Rapido Al Campo."
And I do mean rapido.
Heat olive oil in a pan, add a chopped onion and saute 'til soft with a little cornflour and some curry paste (I used vindaloo) and if you like, a smidgen of lime pickle.
Add a small cup of quinoa (rice or cous-cous would likely work), and two cups of warm water.
Anything else you fancy can go in here.
When the quinoa is cooked, add a tin of tuna, heat through and serve.

Takes about 20 minutes.
Serve with vino tinto from the local filling station.

Back
Top Bottom