support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Pad sizes on true tone.

fishpond

Sitting at home tonight thinking I will start to change the pads on my 1930 true tone alto.
(pads arrived from music medic last week).
Chose a big pad to change Ist.
Took the cup off, undid the snap, removed old pad---no metal backing--just felt.
measured internal dia of cup= 1.7855"dia (ish)
The closest match in the musicmedic pack is 1.6555"dia and is metal backed(I assume the metal back is correct).
According to the Haynes bible and common sense, the pads should be a tightish fit---this is way too loose and doesn't give a big room for error as the tone hole is only 1.587" o/s dia.:confused:
Any body got a clue before I send it to stephen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered the complete set. Looking now at the individual sizes on their website, what I have marries up with what I should of received(sizewise).
So the discrepancy is either in the cup I am doing or I need to jump up and down on the pad to flatten it out a bit.
Maybe this is where the iron comes into play--followed by a large hammer :w00t:;}

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct to say best to order based on measuring each cup. They almost never get it right the other way.

The best approach actually is to have a nice assortment on hand and hand fit them without measuring at all. You want he pad to drop in without any real side to side movement.

You can get nice assortments at Ferrees in USA.

A nice strategy to install them is to float them on the glue with an alcohol burner. The pad is able to exactly match the tone hole with creating an unflat surfaces.

I ran into a little bit of trouble with that as well. I decided not to replace everything - just the bits that fell out.

Best of luck to you fishpond - I hope everything works out :)

I'm surprised about this.
When I ordered a set of Martin Handcraft Roo-pads I was concerned about them all fitting. But they did perfectly, and their site makes ordering very easy.
They seem nice people to do business with too.

Back
Top Bottom