• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners out of tone D and G and suggestion for a tutor

georgesax

Member
Messages
128
Location
sheffield
Dear members:

could you give me some advice on this? I have just learned to play tenor. I am now able to get all the notes on tune except for D and G. I did not have this problem when playing my Yamaha YAS 280 Alto with a 4C mouthpiece. I use an app on my mobile called TE Tuner for my practice. when I play a low D on my tenor with also a Yamaha 4C tenor mouthpiece, it often becomes high A. when I play G, it sometimes has a squeaky noice. I really like the sound of a tenor. I am not sure if I should continue learning alto and switch to a tenor later or I should learn playing tenor now.

I am still looking for a tutor in Sheffield or Leeds areas. I have contacted a few of tutors who have online profiles or recommended to me by the owner of a local sax shop. unfortunately, nobody has replied to me. if any tutor who are memebers of this cafe in these areas are interested in teaching me, could you kindly get in touch with me? thanks for your advice in advance!
best wishes
George
 
When a low D becomes a high A it indicates that you are doing something to bring out the 2nd overtone of D. Players often deliberately make this happen by raising the back of the tongue as if singing "EE". Try singing the lowest note you can on an "AHH" and playing a low D with this feeling inside the mouth and throat while blowing warm air to see if that helps.
 
Dear members:

could you give me some advice on this? I have just learned to play tenor. I am now able to get all the notes on tune except for D and G. I did not have this problem when playing my Yamaha YAS 280 Alto with a 4C mouthpiece. I use an app on my mobile called TE Tuner for my practice. when I play a low D on my tenor with also a Yamaha 4C tenor mouthpiece, it often becomes high A. when I play G, it sometimes has a squeaky noice. I really like the sound of a tenor. I am not sure if I should continue learning alto and switch to a tenor later or I should learn playing tenor now.

I am still looking for a tutor in Sheffield or Leeds areas. I have contacted a few of tutors who have online profiles or recommended to me by the owner of a local sax shop. unfortunately, nobody has replied to me. if any tutor who are memebers of this cafe in these areas are interested in teaching me, could you kindly get in touch with me? thanks for your advice in advance!
best wishes
George
I'd ring them up - too many e-mail addresses are out-of-date and some people put up 'secondary' e-mail addresses because they don't want their personal address on a public web site then forget to check them...
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,263
Messages
576,118
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom