PPT mouthpieces

Ornette Coleman

Who would dare to answer in the negative. "No, Ornette, I don't. Would you you mind explaining texactly what you mean by that?"
I'm sure many would - by all accounts he was a nice guy quite happy to talk to anyone and not at all intimidating, but he did have a tendency to want to provoke thought, hence some of his more obscure utterances. Bern Nix lived at Ornette's apartment while rehearsing fhis music, so probably would've had a lot more to say about Ornette

I'm sure many would - by all accounts he was a nice guy quite happy to talk to anyone and not at all intimidating,

Yes, he was nice neough to sign my album when I was a nipper.

Ornette 1.jpg

Ooh, nice - I don't know 'Sound Unity' but it's difficult to keep up with William Parker's output. A phenomenal bassist, I've seen him play twice - with Cecil Taylor and with Charles Gayle.. He organises the Vision Festival every year in New York which I'd love to go to but will just have to make do with all the videos on youtube..
There's certainly an Ornette influence on that band, the drummer, Hamid Drake studied with Ed Blackwell and played with Don Cherry. Lewis Barnes has also got a noticeable Don Cherry lilt to his playing and Rob Brown has a range of influences, but Ornette is inescapable and seeps into your consciousness even if you don't realise it.
I've never really tried to play like Ornette except once when a bassist wanted to do a few of his tunes and I failed miserably to work out how to play any of them, but sometimes people used to say I sounded like Ornette even when I wasn't trying to - when I bought my first alto the bloke selling it said I sounded like Ornette.... But I've never tried to sound like anyone except myself and maybe that's the best thing we can learn from him

Last edited:
Ooh, nice - I don't know 'Sound Unity' but it's difficult to keep up with William Parker's output. A phenomenal bassist, I've seen him play twice - with Cecil Taylor and with Charles Gayle.. He organises the Vision Festival every year in New York which I'd love to go to but will just have to make do with all the videos on youtube..
There's certainly an Ornette influence on that band, the drummer, Hamid Drake studied with Ed Blackwell and played with Don Cherry. Lewis Barnes has also got a noticeable Don Cherry lilt to his playing and Rob Brown has a range of influences, but Ornette is inescapable and seeps into your consciousness even if you don't realise it.
I've never really tried to play like Ornette except once when a bassist wanted to do a few of his tunes and I failed miserably to work out jow to play any of them, but sometimes people used to say I sounded like Ornette even when I wasn't trying to - when I bought my first alto the bloke selling it said I sounded like Ornette.... But I've never tried to sound like anyone except myself and maybe that's the best thing we can learn from him
I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for more interesting reading

Thanks for posting that it was a very interesting read,. I couldn't be so bold to say I get it, but he excitese, moves me and I think the guy was amazing. I've got a cd box set coming from my sister in law for my birthday, I was talking to a mate a couple of weeks ago who told me the Bass line from sex and drugs and rock and roll was taken from an Ornette Coleman recording, I can't remember which one it was though

I heard an interview with Ian Dury on Jazz On 3 where he said he nicked the riff to Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll from a line that Charlie Haden plays in the bass solo on Ramblin' from the Change Of The Century album. According to the BBC website, Ramblin' was his favourite track on Desert Island Discs
Dury wrote the song a couple of years before Don Cherry guested with the Blockheads ( I think he's on the 'Laughter' album), although I think Don was living in London in the late 70's and sat in with one or two punk bands..

View: https://youtu.be/kqwdRBWvPs0?t=4m38s

Haden was from the mid west and had sung with his father's country group Carl Haden and the Haden Family on their weekly radio show when he was a child, so he was no doubt familiar with the folk tune 'Old Joe Clark' -

View: https://youtu.be/rA_lHmKH0Vw