All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Online Saxophone Practice App

JamesOxford

You're welcome Gary,
thanks, I am at work now so haven't had much time to look at it in detail, but the feature you have is perfect.
Getting users is usually more of a challenge than making an App nowadays with so much content out there..
Some thoughts:
The App is time-limited, i.e. just for people who don't know the fingering positions, so after a couple of weeks most people won't need it.
However it is a great foundation on which to build a practice tool as you have all the technology in place! For example interval practice.
My initial suggestions would be:
Make the stave longer and able to draw out a sequence of notes rather than just show one at a time. The Stave should be long enough to display Chromatic scale from Low Bb to High F#
Add some common Arpeggios and scales: Triads, Fourths, Minor, Pentatonic, Blues I think would be most popular.
I would also say ask some saxophone teachers who will have better ideas than a novice like me. I would personally use it if it played pentatonic and blues scales just as an ear-training device.
You may even want the option to turn off the fingering chart after someone no longer needs it.

I know that is expanding the scope quite a lot, but I think you have so much in place, you could easily expand the types of people who would use it.

A problem for just a fingering chart I think is just reaching people who are rank beginners as I doubt they are so active on forums. I imagine most people on here wouldn't need a tool to help them learn fingerings. So I think you will have to be active on a wide range of platforms, for example Reddit.

There are other issues to do with design, things like padding space and responsiveness on different devices, but I won't discuss here as I have to work, I will message you if you want to talk further later. But main thing, make the stave longer and move it to the top above the key layout.

There is no short cut to getting and retaining users, every game developer and app maker I know has this as the number one challenge, myself included. You just need to keep iterating and keep active on platforms so that people know it's there.
Once you feel it is slick, send it to some influencers, i.e. people like Jay Metcalf have reviewed software he uses like TE Tuner. If you get just one tweet from an influencer with a big platform things can change overnight.

You already are iterating really well! It's a significant improvement from the last version I saw and I like that you have kept the UI very clean with the bottom menu bar.
Keep going!

Last edited:

GarfieldCatUK

You're welcome Gary,
thanks, I am at work now so haven't had much time to look at it in detail, but the feature you have is perfect.
Getting users is usually more of a challenge than making an App nowadays with so much content out there..
Some thoughts:
The App is time-limited, i.e. just for people who don't know the fingering positions, so after a couple of weeks most people won't need it.
However it is a great foundation on which to build a practice tool as you have all the technology in place! For example interval practice.
My initial suggestions would be:
Make the stave longer and able to draw out a sequence of notes rather than just show one at a time. The Stave should be long enough to display Chromatic scale from Low Bb to High F#
Add some common Arpeggios and scales: Triads, Fourths, Minor, Pentatonic, Blues I think would be most popular.
I would also say ask some saxophone teachers who will have better ideas than a novice like me. I would personally use it if it played pentatonic and blues scales just as an ear-training device.
You may even want the option to turn off the fingering chart after someone no longer needs it.

I know that is expanding the scope quite a lot, but I think you have so much in place, you could easily expand the types of people who would use it.

A problem for just a fingering chart I think is just reaching people who are rank beginners as I doubt they are so active on forums. I imagine most people on here wouldn't need a tool to help them learn fingerings. So I think you will have to be active on a wide range of platforms, for example Reddit.

There are other issues to do with design, things like padding space and responsiveness on different devices, but I won't discuss here as I have to work, I will message you if you want to talk further later. But main thing, make the stave longer and move it to the top above the key layout.

There is no short cut to getting and retaining users, every game developer and app maker I know has this as the number one challenge, myself included. You just need to keep iterating and keep active on platforms so that people know it's there.
Once you feel it is slick, send it to some influencers, i.e. people like Jay Metcalf have reviewed software he uses like TE Tuner. If you get just one tweet from an influencer with a big platform things can change overnight.

You already are iterating really well! It's a significant improvement from the last version I saw and I like that you have kept the UI very clean with the bottom menu bar.
Keep going!
This feedback is amazing and very helpful - I really appreciate it :)
I'm already planning the next iteration, and your suggestions will be on the development list. Thanks again. Once I've had chance to digest everything, I'll take you up on your offer of further advice re design. Cheers, Gary

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom