support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Oboe sound on soprano

Just my two cents:

I am playing Oboe and Tenor Sax and I never ever heard a Sax sounding like an oboe and vice versa.

The closest sax sounding like and oboe (but still not sounding like an Oboe) I know is this:
B. Marcello - Concerto in C min (II.Adagio) Saxofollia Saxophone Quartet & Federico Mondelci

The closest Oboe (English Horn is a Tenor Oboe) sounding like a Saxophone (but still not sounding like a Saxophone) I know is this:
Yoram Lachish Improvisation on the English Horn

If you try to sound like an Oboe on you Saxophone: Forget it! Learn the Oboe and practice each weekday ending with a "y". You will sound like an oboe after some months.

If you do not like your sound and you think you sound like an Oboe then maybe your sound is like this:
1st year of learning oboe
some proposals from me:
1. LEARN TO LISTEN, find out what tone like and listen to it. Examine the least of the details. learn to hear you own tone. A proper microphone and headphone might help with this.
2. to 1000. repeat point 1
1001. learn to control your reed without choking it
1002. work on your tone: breath, support, body posture, larynx, tongue, lips and facial expression included. It's no show if wind players raise their eyebrows.
1003. practice on overtones
1004. practice long notes
1005. to 1999. repeat 1001 to 1004.
2000. try different gear, test before buying, reviews help but they say nothing about the gear working with you as a player

Just my two cents:

I am playing Oboe and Tenor Sax and I never ever heard a Sax sounding like an oboe and vice versa.

The closest sax sounding like and oboe (but still not sounding like an Oboe) I know is this:
B. Marcello - Concerto in C min (II.Adagio) Saxofollia Saxophone Quartet & Federico Mondelci

The closest Oboe (English Horn is a Tenor Oboe) sounding like a Saxophone (but still not sounding like a Saxophone) I know is this:
Yoram Lachish Improvisation on the English Horn

If you try to sound like an Oboe on you Saxophone: Forget it! Learn the Oboe and practice each weekday ending with a "y". You will sound like an oboe after some months.

If you do not like your sound and you think you sound like an Oboe then maybe your sound is like this:
some proposals from me:
1. LEARN TO LISTEN, find out what tone like and listen to it. Examine the least of the details. learn to hear you own tone. A proper microphone and headphone might help with this.
2. to 1000. repeat point 1
1001. learn to control your reed without choking it
1002. work on your tone: breath, support, body posture, larynx, tongue, lips and facial expression included. It's no show if wind players raise their eyebrows.
1003. practice on overtones
1004. practice long notes
1005. to 1999. repeat 1001 to 1004.
2000. try different gear, test before buying, reviews help but they say nothing about the gear working with you as a player

Read the thread. Few find that an oboe sound is desirable on sop.

Your suggestions are, however, useful to get a full and pleasant sound on saxophone - especially the parts about listening and tone exercises.

Best to luck with your tenor playing. Tenor has been very good to me.

No but I think people are talking about a tendency towards an "oboeish" sound, not sounding exactly like an oboe. If a renowned clarinettist, acoustician and mouthpiece maker (Dr. Edward Pillinger) considers that some mouthpieces push the tone towards an Oboe quality rather than a high saxophone sound then I accept that as confirmation of my own thoughts that a soprano can tend towards an oboeish sound.

some proposals from me:

I don't see that as a valid example of oboe sound as it is such an absolute beginner, possibly even a first attempt at playing an oboe.

(But then not so far off my own first public performance on oboe :))

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06DymNO7j5k

Last edited: