All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Now got a Tenor - but want to keep playing my alto

bucksmusic

I had my first lesson with the tenor yesterday, and according to my teacher it's in very good working order. Makes a lovely sound. I do prefer the tenor sound to alto, but I bought the alto first as I thought it would easier.

As I was driving to my lesson yesterday, Sonny Rollins playing St Thomas from Saxophone Colossus came on randomly (from my mp3 player). Nearly stopped and threw the Sax out the car window :)

Spot on Jazzdoh; which is best is a subjective thing.

Cheers

I don't think you should worry about playing two different saxes - loads of people do it. I'm originally a clarinettist who doubled on alto sax, then much more recently got a baritone. The bari did take a bit of getting used to (slacker embouchure and more fussy about throat voicing is what I've noticed most), but now I can swap between the two (and the clarinet) pretty easily. I've had the bari about five years now (and played clarinet/alto for three of four decades).

I've never played a Bb sax though, so I don't know if that would make a difference (Eb saxes play in the same key as the lower register of a Bb clarinet but I don't think it would put me off if it was sounding a different note for any given fingering - clarinet changes fingering every octave after all)

Go for it - I'd say the worst that can happen is you'll end up preferring one or the other, but if one ends up never being played you can deal with that when/if it happens.

Just don't get a soprano - horrible-sounding things ;)

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I started on alto, struggled with tenor but eventually made it my first choice, then likewise struggled with baritone and now it's up there with the other two

The one thing that has elevated the standing of each size of sax is practice. How you go about that is up to you. I am not systematic about which I practice, so whether I decide to pick up the T, the A, the B or god forbid the S, is down to whim and sometimes a piece I am working on

It helps me to have all saxes out of their cases and in stands (under a dust sheet) waiting to be grabbed, neck and mouthpiece and reed applied, and away I go

bucksmusic

Hi

Well I haven't played the alto since I got the tenor, but my (new) teacher has made a significant change to my embrochure, so I'm sticking to the tenor for the moment, to let the change settle in. Absolutely love the sound the tenor makes.

Appreciate all the recent comments.

Cheers

Rusax

Hi

Well I haven't played the alto since I got the tenor, but my (new) teacher has made a significant change to my embrochure, so I'm sticking to the tenor for the moment, to let the change settle in. Absolutely love the sound the tenor makes.

Appreciate all the recent comments.

Cheers
Has the sound changed significantly ? What was the change? Sorry to go off topic of .

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Subscriber
Buy 8 stands. Nothing worse than looking at empty stands. Add 1 each. Curved soprano, straight soprano, alto,C melody, tenor, baritone and bass clarine. Backup alto. Then start collecting mouthpieces.

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Subscriber
Mouth harp or one with strings?
Option # 3
2E841C5A-5515-4A7B-A78E-923F246D17C4.jpeg

bucksmusic

Hi Rusax

Previously I hadn't had much guidance on my embrochure, so I had the lower lip pulled back over the bottom teeth. My new teacher is a Jazz player (which is what I'm interested in - though years away from being one) and he recommends an embrochure, well to save explaining, basically like Michael Breckers.

I'm only a beginner, but my impression is that it gives a fatter sound. But it's going to take time to develop the muscles!

Cheers

mizmar

I'm interested in the answers.
I've got T, A and Clarinet... For me, on the one hand, it's kind of one size doesn't fit all. I can play about the same stuff on each, give or take; but some stuff just fits better on one or the other.
One the other hand, I try, if I can, to apply the same exercises (scales, patterns, études, etc) to each and in all/several keys because then, seems to me, the sound idea detaches from the details of the instrument and has a life of its own. ... Not all at once, mind! More like work through the patten (and other stuff) and tenor for week or so, then alto for a week or so.

Ken_Sturrock

Forever Flat
Subscriber
I realize that I'm not as skilled as others, but I had played alto for a few years and then tried to learn tenor and found it very frustrating. There were a number of issues that I had: "finger memory", embouchure, instrument size & feel, thinking about the sound I wanted, etc. In the end, I came to the conclusion that I'm an altoist (and that's a great thing to be).

Top Bottom