• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Not sure which sax to get

Thanks and that's exactly it. I might be too eager for my own good and it will be challenging to hold back now. Since everything is closed now (Galway only has a few music shops and just one that sells a few horns anyways) it would be nearly impossible to have someone examine the sax when it arrives. I could try to increase my budget to 400 maybe 450 overtime but It'll take much longer since I'm not working at the moment.

I might be trying to rush it but I can't help but think this is the perfect opportunity to pick up the sax.

Thanks so much for your reply!
Yours is really a valid enough position, and fact is we dunno how long 'all this' is going to go on....so should one really be tethered to holding off starting a musical endeavor.... when acquiring a horn is (still) relatively simple ?

I think your position is valid, and again in such an instance it just becomes a question of...."just don't get something crappy !"

Your initial short list, was, um....kinda crappy, LOL.

I think there have been other suggestions since which are beginning to give you good value for the $.

If any of those are conveniently available, I say...heck, go for it now.
 
Last edited:
Hey fella,
Nice to see someone else here from Ireland taking up the Sax too!!!
Have ya thought about maybe hiring the instrument for a few months to give yourself a chance before ya spend money on it?Im thinking about doing this from EMS in Dublin (or some of the other retailers) as it will allow me to spend a bigger budget but spread it out over 6 months!

Look at these, it might help you out!!!
pricefirst rental second rentalBalance
Saxophone ELKHART SXAB Deluxe Alto Alto; lacquered​
€795.00​
€119.25​
€198.75​
€477.00​
​
Saxophone TREVOR JAMES Classic Alto, Lacquered (with High F#)​
€725.00​
€108.75​
€181.25​
€435.00​

I dont know about you, but the way things have gone recently id have a bit of trouble spending € 800 - €1000 straight off with no way to spread it out! This way ill get a better quality instrument and not have as many problems with spreading the payments!

Best of luck with whatever you decide, you might find somewhere in Galway that does similar and closer to you!!!!
 
Hey fella,
Nice to see someone else here from Ireland taking up the Sax too!!!
Have ya thought about maybe hiring the instrument for a few months to give yourself a chance before ya spend money on it?Im thinking about doing this from EMS in Dublin (or some of the other retailers) as it will allow me to spend a bigger budget but spread it out over 6 months!

Look at these, it might help you out!!!
​
pricefirst rentalsecond rentalBalance
Saxophone ELKHART SXAB Deluxe Alto Alto; lacquered​
€795.00​
€119.25​
€198.75​
€477.00​
​
Saxophone TREVOR JAMES Classic Alto, Lacquered (with High F#)​
€725.00​
€108.75​
€181.25​
€435.00​


I dont know about you, but the way things have gone recently id have a bit of trouble spending € 800 - €1000 straight off with no way to spread it out! This way ill get a better quality instrument and not have as many problems with spreading the payments!

Best of luck with whatever you decide, you might find somewhere in Galway that does similar and closer to you!!!!

Another option for rent-to-buy in Ireland is with Paul Ryan Music in Dublin Paul Ryan Woodwind & Brass
I have bought a couple on instruments from him over the years and would recommend him and always to buy from bricks-and-mortar as other have said, for support and professional advice. He prices competitively against most online retailers.
 
I’ve contacted him, he’s reconsidering the rent to buy! Which is why I suggested EMS.
Couple of people I know on other forums have bought off them numerous times and are happy with the service and aftercare!
but Paul Ryans reputation is impeccable
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,937
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom