support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Nice online theory course at Coursera

I thought the course was mostly pretty good. But I won't be doing the final assessment (Analyse a chunk of a Mozart string quartet), It's way beyond the level of the course itself and looks like a lot of work for not much benefit (to me, anyway).

You guys are so funny :rofl:

TBH, there was nothing much in this course beyond ABRSM grade 5 theory. If you can pass that, you can do this course.
I have found this course far more interesting from the forums and Facebook support page point of view. As I am preparing to take my diploma in Saxophone teaching, it has been enlightening to realise how information can be mis-understood and how concepts that to me appear straightforward and obvious, are just way-beyond other people, or require explanation in a completely different way, or require the tutors to adapt and give alternative information or teach in a different way. ;)

As I am preparing to take my diploma in Saxophone teaching, it has been enlightening to realise how information can be mis-understood and how concepts that to me appear straightforward and obvious, are just way-beyond other people, or require explanation in a completely different way, or require the tutors to adapt and give alternative information or teach in a different way. ;)

I really wish more people had this understanding. What goes with it is the need to put yourself to one side and second guess/find out what the question really is - the student often can't articulate it properly. And we see it a lot on the forum.

Mandy,
You are realising the difference between teaching and coaching, as defined by John Whitmore. If you can grab a copy of his book, treasure it. It is about finding an explanation that is understandable by your client, and agreed goals. Just to make it more interesting, they are likely to be different for each one.

Worst?, best? example come across whilst attempting to train driving instructor? A colleague said they accepted all the credit for past clients who had passed the Driving Test but none for those who failed, as "I told them." Never even thought to check if they understood or appreciated the reason, just that they'd been told. As it is a life or death industry, was tempted to spell that tolled.

Good luck and be a good one.

Apologies for being serious.

Only just catching up with this thread. Some interesting comments. I do get worried when people think there is "only one right way to teach" since we are different and learn in different ways.

I am currently informally teaching a friend some basic music theory - she's a complete beginner and is looking to start playing violin soon. It is interesting how things I don't even think about, I need to break down into bits and possibly explain in several ways.

Only just catching up with this thread. Some interesting comments. I do get worried when people think there is "only one right way to teach" since we are different and learn in different ways.

I am currently informally teaching a friend some basic music theory - she's a complete beginner and is looking to start playing violin soon. It is interesting how things I don't even think about, I need to break down into bits and possibly explain in several ways.

Agree entirely, once you become proficient in something you forget what you didn't know or understand in the beginning and now just take for granted. Teaching is a real skill and as you say we all learn in different ways.

Jx