PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New tenor needed...what to buy?

@milandro plays a late one, if I remember well.
There are also very bad very late ones, but I am not familiar with the subject

I don’t exactly play what is definable as a late Super 20, in fact I play an early 1972 Eastlake which was probably, in actual fact, still made in Cleveland.

This are very good, I have had two both great. I would NEVER part with mine.

Late S20 are a different kettle of fish, made in the UMI period have only the designation USA ( therefore not Cleveland or Eastlake) and some or all ( that isn’t very clear) didn’t have brazed toneholes but pulled ones.

One VERY important thing! These UMI-USA models like the one which Stephen has reviewed don’t have nickel silver keywork as the proper Super 20’s. The nickel silver keywork is one of the reasons why Super 20 STAY adjusted forever, it it’s not there...draw your conclusions.

It might look like a Super 20 but it isn’t.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Just to throw a little more confusion and temptation into my path, I spoke to Rupert Noble in Brighton earlier and in addition to many of those already mentioned, he's got an SML Gold Medal mk2. I've always wanted to try one of these.

One VERY important thing! These UMI-USA models like the one which Stephen has reviewed don’t have nickel silver keywork as the proper Super 20’s. The nickel silver keywork is one of the reasons why Super 20 STAY adjusted forever, it it’s not there...draw your conclusions.

It might look like a Super 20 but it isn’t.

I'm not sure that UMI did any King Super 20! And UMI was formed in March 1985. They bought/took over the plant in Eastlake were the King Super 20's were made. And the moved all brass manufactoring to Eastlake and the saxophone manufactoring moved to Nogales AZ. But I have some info that says UMI never made any King Super 20's!?!?! Lots of ????? about the late KIng Super 20's. The late (bad ones) was UMI even before UMi was formed! UMI was a subsidiary to the Swedish conglomerate Skåne-Gripen. UMI made a few King Super 21 in Nogales. I didn't knew that King Super 20 had solid nickel silver keys. And the goldlaquerd these keys?? What a waste.

well, UMI or not the USA models are substandard ( compared to the Super 20 standard that is) Super 20

The keys that are nickel silver are the keywork not the keycups.

These are the official 20 improvements, it they are not there it is NOT a Super 20

( well also Cleveland engraved ones lost some of these improvements at some stage, the triple strap ring for example was discontinued in all Super 20 already in some Cleveland)

1946%20Super%2020%20Features%20Page%20Large.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everybody. Just to throw a little more confusion and temptation into my path, I spoke to Rupert Noble in Brighton earlier and in addition to many of those already mentioned, he's got an SML Gold Medal mk2. I've always wanted to try one of these.
Nip in and see me on the way to Oxford.......Windsor & Eton Brewery have some lovely beers!

Back
Top Bottom