support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner New sax.....a pain in the neck!

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
Hi Folks,
Well my Purple Logo YAS 62 arrived and I've been having a ball playing it......but I have developed a pain in the neck (well, shoulder actually but the vet tells me that the source of the problem is my neck).

I have been practicing more than I was previously, but other than that and the change of instrument nothing has changed...................so, has anyone else suffered from this? Of course it could just be older age starting to creep up on me!

I currently use a Neotech neck strap and was wondering if I might be better using a harness?? I personally think they are not particularly flattering and don't suit the female form!!! Feel free to convince me differently! :)

Matilda:sax:

Hi
I have had a trapped nerve in my neck a few years ago...before I had ever played a sax, that meant I almost lost use of my right arm it was so painful. Physio sorted it out, but when I started to play sax, I would also occasionally get a bit of stiff neck if playing for maybe an hour or so.
Then I bought the cebulla neck strap as highly recommended on this site and I can honestly say Ive not had a problem since.
the cebulla is designed to take pressure off the back of the neck and I would highly recommend spending the £30 odd pounds as not only is it a really nice strap, but for me does the job perfectly.
See Petes recommendation and other forum posts for details how to purchase if you are interested....and Johann is also a really nice bloke to deal with.

Hope this helps.

This is the thread you need o the Cebulla: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?1239-Best-strap-ever!

If you follow it, you'll find that I think the Moose strap is better. However.... Take a look at the way the Cebulla is made. Depending on where the trapped nerve is, the Cebulla may work better for you.

May be worth discussing with your physio/doc - as depending on the anatomy, a harness may be a much better option for you. Ladylike or otherwise...

Then again it may be something different. I've sometimes had a similar problem, but far more often when playing flute rather than sax. In my case it's the result of getting far too tense when playing, and I end up with rock solid muscles across the shoulders and around the neck, and sometimes pain in the left arm, all of which is not much fun. The answer is to relax when playing, but this is sometimes easier said than done.

Congratulations on your lovely new alto! I have a purple logo yas62 too and like it very much.

Perhaps check the positioning of the crook - it might be a very small change that's making such a big pain....

I don't know what size person you are. I am a big guy. (24 stone). I am a male. I second on Bari, so I purchased a harness. I find that the harness fits me and all my saxophones just fine. I play in a suit coat so it does not show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZiMdLi_LdY

I find the harness to be very comfortable.

You need to try a harness and decide for yourself.

Hi Folks,
Well my Purple Logo YAS 62 arrived and I've been having a ball playing it......but I have developed a pain in the neck (well, shoulder actually but the vet tells me that the source of the problem is my neck).

I have been practicing more than I was previously, but other than that and the change of instrument nothing has changed...................so, has anyone else suffered from this? Of course it could just be older age starting to creep up on me!

I currently use a Neotech neck strap and was wondering if I might be better using a harness?? I personally think they are not particularly flattering and don't suit the female form!!! Feel free to convince me differently! :)

Hi, I use a neotech harness with my Tenor as I have neck and arm problems - the sax feels more stable on the harness too. I used to feel a bit embarrased about the "lift and separate" ;} look but don't care now as I just want to be able to play in comfort - although I do wear a black top so it isn't so obvious! :welldone

ps The guys in the band say that they pay good money to see similar attire in magazines :)))

I have a slightly arthritic neck and have found that using the Neotech strap which goes over my left shoulder & under my right armpit works well, for me. I haven't liked any neckstrap I've tried so far (not many), but think a harness would be uncomfortable in our warm climate.

Hi Matilda, i too developed a pain in my back due the sax playing, went over to a harness for general practice and use a Lebayle strap for gigging etc.
However after reading the write ups started by HD re Cebulla straps thought i would get one. I contacted Johann last week and have agreed to contact him again in a couple of weeks when he is back off holiday. He is giving a 10% discount to Cafe Sax members if three of us buy one. Are you up for that? :w00t:

Hi Philip,

"If three members order at the same time they will get 10% cafésaxophone discount."

1x Cebulla Deluxe L with fibre hook Euro 36,00

Our fibre hook is made for 58kg weight.

Shipping to Uk 5,00 Euro

If you pay by PayPal it will be plus 4% for PayPal Fee amount and money change.

Total: 42,64
Please notice that we are closed the next 2 weeks, look at my homepage, thanks.

Important!

Our PayPal address is

johanncebulla AT freenet.de

Please let me know if you agree, thanks.

Feel free asking any further question.

With best regards
Johann

Hi Folks,

Im 49 .. when I was 47 I was running up mountains in cumbria... then I got some neck pain.. then back pain. physio sorted it for a couple of months... now im in a wheelchair and have recently gained this body accessory..

poorme.jpg

If your having neck problems.. get a harness.. forget looking pretty or getting hot.
harnesses are actually quite comfortable and really do help

I have some back issues from years of professional double bass playing (Sciatica, fused vertebrae, shortened leg, 2 curvatures of the spine and chronic pain which is now mostly gone thank goodness) so was therefore very wary when I decided to take up the bari sax. I have a BG harness - ladies fit - and have had no issues. It is very comfy and not unflattering. The ladies version has the double straps set closer on the front, so they lie in between the bosoms rather than over the top, which I should imagine for larger lady saxist could be uncomfortable. Please do get a harness and do not compromise your body's welfare!

Congratulations on your lovely new alto! I have a purple logo yas62 too and like it very much.

Perhaps check the positioning of the crook - it might be a very small change that's making such a big pain....

Hi pyrografix

Like Little My I have a 62 and I also have an elkhart, when I play the elkhart the crook lines up straight through the sax if you get what I mean sort of in line with the bell,but when I play the 62 I have to put the crook off to one side to be comfortable,if you don't it's as if you have to twist the sax all the time between the arms and the neck and although I am no expert I would think this would cause strain on the neck and even if you use a harness that takes the wait of the sax this twisting thing will still be happenning,If you look on you tube you will notice a lot of players with the crook off at an angle.I hope this helps you...john

Back
Top Bottom