support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces New PPT Mouthpiece: "the Hooligan"

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
So far just a prototype, but I'm very excited by this It is an alto piece with a large but surprisingly beautiful curve. A baffle reminiscent of the PT tenor. No you can't have one yet, this is just a teaser of the prototype

hooligan-2.jpg

[EDIT] Passaround: If you would like to take part in the pass around trial, please use the contact form on Taming The Saxophone and choose HOOL0116 from the subject dropdown. Include your postal address and forum name.

By doing this you accept the terms of the pass around:

The rules are simple:

• Damage or loss is paid for by the recipient.
  • Use a mouthpiece patch and protect the body from ligature scratches.
  • Report any dame as soon as you see it.
  • Ideally send on after three days, or at the longest a week. (But do please try with a section of reeds not already used on a different mouthpiece)
  • Send on to the next person, insured for £150, (or $200, €200) or uninsured at your own risk. - if it doesn't arrive at the destination, then you pay for it.
A fair review would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks to Trimmy I have an alto on loan. Only this afternoon he arrived with the sweetest Pan American Conn
I'm not a good alto player; I just wanted an option to see if I can get it together.
I play tenor all day; stopping for the neighbours about six..I plan to use harder reeds; and go on a little later. Anyway; Trimmy, many thanks mate
That extra time is going to be well spent !!

Here you go, it is still a prototype so is based on our normal way of working with the PPT tenor, what you see here is a baffle that Ed has made based in my description of how I want it, but after i have taken some judicious sandpaper. In the case of the tenor the baffle was based somewhere between a Vandoren and a Berg, but smoothed off a bit. With an big Linkish sort of chamber.

This one is more Meyer like, but with a baffle that is a less vicious bullet than a Berg.

There you go, all my trade secrets exposed.

hooligan-2a.jpg

Please explain................Ed makes a prototype.....based on your requirements.........Ed gives it back to you.......you sand it in various places which alters the response until it sounds the way you want it to........you pass it back to Ed for production................how does he know how much you have altered it to then produce the "stock" finished item as per Pete Thomas?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom