support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

new member - NI

Stuart

Hallo, Everyone.
Although I have already posted in the Bauhaus-Walstein thread, I have not yet here.
I am South African, though currently based in Northern Ireland. I played the clarinet at school, and now (in my 40s) want to learn the sax (as a relief from stressful work).
I cannot yet decide on a tenor or soprano. I love the sound of the soprano (at least as it is exemplified in Pete's sound-clips!), but am wary because of the opinion heard that it is difficult. I would prefer the tenor over the alto I think merely because it is a bit less commonly played and I also enjoyed having a go recently on a relative's YTS-62.
I believe that the best way to buy sight unseen is to follow the advice in this forum concerning the value-for-money quality of BWs.
I may have to travel 40 minutes to Belfast to find a group to play with (later), which is a bit dificult, but what's the point if one can't be in some sort of band?
Any advice at this stage would not be unwelcome! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stuart

Welcome to the cafe from Manchester

The only advice I can give is as a novice which may not be too bad because it's nearer to where your at. I'm 2.5 yrs in started on alto main instrument, bought a sop to try, haven't found it difficult to play,have got a tenor and find this more difficult so I wouldn't worry too much about the sop being difficult.

As for the BW they seem to be a great buy and I wouldn't mind a sop myself mines an old stagg and a bit clattery.

I'll leave it to the more senior members to give you the real advice which I'm sure they will,good luck on your journey...John

Hi Stuart, firstly welcome to the Caff! why don't you hire one first and that way you will see which one you prefer. yes you may spend £100 or so but IMHO it will save you money in not buying a sax you don't like. I personally would not just go on the opinions of others. ( no disrespect ) but i remember when i upgraded my sax a year back i really thought i was going to buy a Selmer as everybody said how good they were but walked away with a Mauriat ( tenor ). You do need to try them, you will know which one is for you. Good luck anyway, Phil

Hello Stuart and welcome to the Cafe :)

I agree with Phil and also with Phil. ;) The best way to decide is to try them out. Keep us posted as to which one you decide to play first. Be warned - you may end up with one of each! Good luck with your selection.

Hi Stuart!

I started on Soprano - really all depends on the music you like. Of the three main types I do prefer the Alto for a variety of reasons. Hope you get something which you like playing, and join in the discussions in the Cafe. What music do you like/want to play - tell us what your ambitions are saxwise!
Look forward to getting to know you in the coming months.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Hi Stuart. Welcome. You might find it easier to start on alto or even soprano (my teacher starts 7 year olds on curved sop), but you really need to make up your own mind. Go to a shop, lots do a hire scheme, and tell them exactly where you are at. Most music people are only too happy to help.

I wouldn't worry about playing in a band immediately. And if you get a decent teacher they will probaby know lots of other players and bands as well.

Enjoy it!
Colin

Hi Stuart!

Big challenge finding a decent selection of saxes for sale in Belfast! :shocked: Why don't you just get a Bauhaus Walstein Alto from Woodwind & Brass for about £370 whilst you try and find one in NI. There are few in Wales either, at least until Studio Saxophones came to Abergavenny. Just not a very common Celtic instrument - you could always get a harp/fiddle/bodhran or whistle :w00t::w00t:

Seriously (non pushily) good luck with your search!
Kind regards

Thanks, Tom.

Phoned around again today - no sopranos to look at in Belfast shops it seems! It's unbelievable really .. just a couple of lower-end alto and tenor TJs and Jupiters. Stacks of squash-boxes and whistles and vacancies in marching bands though!

Might very well do what you say - just take the plunge with a BW alto and get started. Can't fly to England for this quest.

Would be interested in the reasons you have for preferring the alto .. if you feel like sharing them ..

Hi Stuart!

All the BW's are very good - as you know I have the Curved Soprano - no particular preference for soprano, alto or tenor but obviously prefer playing an alto personally, so ignore my comment. Key thing is to choose one that you like the sound of, and enjoy the music of. I prefer the range of the Alto - goes high enough and deep enough, and does not cause spinal/back problems as with a tenor.
The problem with Soprano is not that much written music, and playing Tenor tunes on Soprano is not great (as I found out through initially starting on Straight Soprano!).

So, any of the three have excellent reviews and are of a safe and high standard - so you are on a hiding to nothing. I had a brief Google on shops in Belfast and the supply of saxes looked as poor as Wales (Studio Saxophones excluded!).

Kind regards

and does not cause spinal/back problems as with a tenor.

Kind regards

Ignore Tom, he has the strength of a pie cleaner (;} Tom) I started on alto but soon realised that the tenor was the horn for me. As others have said, it all depends on the sound your after and the sort of music you want to play. I play loads of blues and tonnes of rock 'n' roll and the tenor definitely fits the bill.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your search. Don't forget to have fun with whichever you choose!

Welcome, Stuart

There is a lot to be said for starting on an alto. Everything about them costs less than with others. They are also very easy to sell on the second-hand market if you change your mind for any reason. But above all, you can really make an alto sing. I have never played a soprano, but what I have heard is truly impressive.

Back
Top Bottom