PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures New 'AK Ligature' coming soon for saxophone

Alex9

Café Supporter
Locality
London, Greater London
Hi

Just thought I'd share an interesting discovery and possibly set off an attack of GAS in some members!

There's a new (and pricey) ligature out for clarinet called the AK ligature. It has a unique concept in that it clamps onto the mouthpiece and stays put. Then you just flick a lever to replace your reed, while the ligature retains its desired position on the mouthpiece.

ligscrew.jpg

The following video from Dawkes Music (great guys) will explain things better than me! The video is for the clarinet version but Dawkes has confirmed the sax lig will be coming soon.

AK Clarinet Ligature Review

Alex

Last edited:
I like the idea for the mechanism !

I am quite curious to see how they will handle the million shank sizes of sax MP (even within only one sax size, and I have no idea if clarinet mouthpieces have much different sizes).

And of course there will be the question of the price...

And of course there will be the question of the price
That's what I am most interested in. I imagine it will be expensive. It's an interesting design, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the price. It's not really that hard or time-consuming to change a reed with a standard ligature. We'll have to see what they are charging for that bit of convenience.

It's going to be pricey and you have to ask yourself, "How often do I need to change a reed in a hurry?". I do occasionally change reeds at gigs but there's always plenty of time to do it.

Looks like the clarinet version is $199 and €69 for a 2 plate set (Kessler and Sons). Expensive! Although the plate kit seems fairly reasonable, especially compared to other brands. And it is sterling silver...

20200110_101257.jpg

It's going to be pricey and you have to ask yourself, "How often do I need to change a reed in a hurry?". I do occasionally change reeds at gigs but there's always plenty of time to do it.
And also the adjustment would change if you use different reeds.

It's maybe a nice, expensive gift for the saxophonist you want to marry, instead of a ring?
There is also an expression, "blowing a lot of money".

At that price, I'll stick with my Vandoren Optimum.

I’m not even going to consider it until they make a cryogenically treated one.

Looks like the clarinet version is $199 and €69 for a 2 plate set (Kessler and Sons). Expensive! Although the plate kit seems fairly reasonable, especially compared to other brands. And it is sterling silver...
Ah... well at that price they can keep it (at least from me).

Too bad because the idea was interesting. I particularly liked the fact that you could put the ligature in the position you like best once and leave it that way (forever ?) if you wanted to.

@randulo I expected a very mixed response! I think we all know there's a lot of snake oil gimmicks out there intended to tempt us saxophonists. Most of us are more clued up than they realize! I still think it's fascinating to see what new ideas are thought up. And once in a while some products do work for people.

Expensive equipment doesn't make a great player; practice and talent does. As long as your gear is in good working condition, it's about putting in the time and loving what you do.

But it can't hurt to cast a critical eye over what new gadgets are released!

No question about that. As you say, every now and then someone does come up with a really good, worthwhile idea. We will never find them if we're not looking.

Absolutely, I've even been known to buy a few. Suddenly I realised that you haven't been around here too long (I think?) and didn't want you to feel there was any disrespect, just what passes for humour >:)

I love new toys, but paying more for the ligature than for the mouthpiece it is attached to is hard for me to accept, unless it really makes a huge difference. Ease of changing reed isn’t enough for me.

Too bad because the idea was interesting. I particularly liked the fact that you could put the ligature in the position you like best once and leave it that way (forever ?) if you wanted to.
You can do that with an absolute :)

I didn't realise and had my wrists slapped for taking it off....

Jx