support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Need Help From the Mouthpiece Wonks on the Forum

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Café Supporter
I am about to undertake a study to compare the playing and intonation characteristics of mouthpieces which have identical interior volumes but have different geometric shapes inside. In particular I need to know which mouthpieces have a long rather narrow chamber, and which mouthpieces have a short wide chamber with scooped out sidewalls to use for my study.

One of the basic questions I want to try to answer is: When you pull a mouthpiece out, does the pitch go lower because you have made the physical length of the instrument longer? Or does the pitch go lower because the interior volume of the mouthpiece which replicates the volume of the "missing cone" gets larger.

Another question is: If a long narrow chamber, and a short "fat" chamber of identical volumes produce the same pitch of the fundamental, do those shapes produce different pitched harmonics?

Hopefully those who have tried and played many different mouthpieces will chime in. I know Pete has done a lot of work in this area and can share a bit of what he has learned designing his own mouthpieces.

Interesting topic. I would like to know more about this. I'm using Rovner Deep-V tenor mouthpieces which I think has a long and narrow chamber?

Back
Top Bottom