support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Need a stronger tip?

VirusKiller

I've been playing with a strength 1.5 Superial reed with my #9 Yani metal alto mouthpiece for about a week and a half. The last half-inch or so of the tip is bending up a bit towards the rails.

Is this normal?
Do I need a stronger reed?
Do I need a same strength reed with a stronger tip (e.g. Superial DC or NY).
Do I just need to replace my reed.

It still sounds very good; I have no problem with subtone in the lowest notes when doing my tone exercises at the beginning of my practice session, but low note subtone seems harder now I'm on my arpeggios. Of course, it could simply be that my embouchure is getting a bit tired...

That is a very soft reed - typically only used by beginners at first and yet you have a mouthpiece with quite an open facing that would be preferred by quite a strong player. Try another reed and if I was playing one of those (which I wouldn't as it is a very open facing), I'd probably use a 2.5 reed, and at least a 2.0. Still, rules are made to be broken and if it works for you, enjoy it!

Yes, I know what I'm doing is somewhat unorthadox/insane - I saw the #9 mpc on eBay and really fancied trying it for its note shaping abilities. Perhaps the combination of the two is pretty unique. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks after a 20 year break, hence the soft reed whilst I get back into it, but I do intend to move up to at least a strength 2.

I did try a standard Vandoren 2, but that was too hard for the time being (I know that Vandorens are about ½ harder than the Superials for the same strength). I'm wondering if the yellow box Superials are particularly soft tipped, or maybe I've chanced on a particularly soft one. I'll give a few more 1½'s a go and see how I get along.

Ah I see - if you've just come back to it, you'll need to get your chops back. My guess is you'll want something stronger once you've been playing again for 6 months or so. Yes, Superials are softer tipped than a Vandoren traditional. If it's working, carry on although I reckon you'll soon be too strong for it.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom