support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Mystery key....

lennieh

I know nothing...
Locality
Epsom
Apologies if this is a really dumb question, but I'm stuck in work with nothing to do, and I'm taking full advantage of this forums tag ( Only dumb question is the one you don't ask... )

So what is the key that sits immediately above the left hand keys? The one above the B key? I played around with it but couldn't make it do anything convincingly pleasant....

Can't find it referenced in any fingering charts....

Is this the key you press to let out any bad notes that have sneaked in and taken up residence in your sax?

... and then I found a fingering chart that uses them for alt fingering for the high E, F & F# notes.......

back to sleep...

That key is often referred to as the "front F".

It's useful if you have a piece that requires you to go from top C to top F (and back). Rather than trying to get both hands on the palm keys, you just put your index finger left hand up onto the front F key.

I thought it was the safety catch (cf OG's recent post).

It's the lost chord button. Everybody knows that. You press it, blow hard, bite the reed and the saxophone turns into a swannee whistle. It also spontaneously generates dogs and bats and one of the neighbours knocking on the front door.