support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones My new sax 'Arta Guban Tenor'

oldblower

Locality
basingstoke
Picked up my new sax yesterday cost me £67.00 came in a sturdy wooden case with a vandoren T25 mouthpiece and ligature, pad saver and plenty of dust!!!
Out of the box added a newish reed ,rico 2, and it plays, got a full range of notes and all in all not bad sound, my opinion! did see a small cat running away tho.
Minor thing but you need big hands for this one compared with the fairfield espirit i had on loan for a couple of weeks, but as an ex swimmers with a XXX glove size its not a problem for me.

Now my questions
1. Is this an ok mouthpiece?
2. Its not been played for some time, should i clean or just play? am not scared of dust.
I am a beginner only been playing for a month, alto 2 weeks tenor 2 weeks but loving it.

Its a big solid lump is there any info or insight anyone can give me about these.

Thanks in advance.

£67 for a working tenor sax has to be a good buy!

You might want to dust it a bit (and oil it, perhaps. Stephen Howard has some good tips on this in the Haynes sax manual) in case the dirt might cause wear on the action.

Last edited by a moderator:
£67 for any tenor which works is fantastic. Mouthpiece should be fine, if a bit conservative for my tastes. It's a good quality one. Arta Guban were Eastern European workhorse saxes, not of the finest quality, but if it plays you've got a bargain. As you've found out, this type of sax tends to be built to take a bit of abuse.

Personally I'd dust it, using a duster and a vacuum cleaner at the same time to suck up the disturned dust, then as mentioned above, treat it to a drop of oil. Then, just blow the thing.

My 1st ever sax was an Arta Guban Tenor I got in about 1979/80

I loved it. It cost me about £180 second hand then .
. A Selmer Paris tenor sax would have cost just over a Grand then.

Many of the Arta Guban saxes are very ornate. It's a Romanian maker. However it's a bit unclear whether they made all the saxes themselves, or imported them from East Germany/Czechoslovakia. Could be a mix of both.

Enjoy, sounds like you got a bargain there. A spot of oil on the works would be good. Use a pull through to keep the inside clean, will probably be a bit gungy at first.

Many of the Arta Guban saxes are very ornate. It's a Romanian maker. However it's a bit unclear whether they made all the saxes themselves, or imported them from East Germany/Czechoslovakia. Could be a mix of both.

Enjoy, sounds like you got a bargain there. A spot of oil on the works would be good. Use a pull through to keep the inside clean, will probably be a bit gungy at first.
hi, all Arta Guban are genuinely made in Romania and are mark. No Faxes and no importers. The fabric / manufacturer Guban was a well known and very reputable. I have one Saxophone of this make and some are silver as well.

Back
Top Bottom