support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Musical instrument makers?

Locality
Southampton, United Kingdom
Good Afternoon guys,

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I am a final year student at university studying graphic design and for one of my projects (namely, visual communication) I am focussing on the construction of the typographic elements of sheet music and the elements that create sounds. I would like to view the artistry of what makes a piece of metal, wood, etc into a visual and auditory functional and emotional item. Does anyone know of someone that makes and develops any musical instruments preferably a small run [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]business[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] or personal business.[/FONT]

Any information at all would be appreciated.

We have a violin maker in town. He runs his business at his home as far as I know.
My daughter used to play violin and he has carried out repairs on her violin, so I only know him through that.

This is his web-site: http://www.hillsarts.co.uk/hibernianviolins/

Thank you Mandy, although it seems a bit of a journey to get there, I should have mentioned that somewhere around the south or near london would be best for me. I need to learn to drive!

Peter Eaton makes superb clarinets in Effingham:
Peter Eaton Clarinets
Woodside
Orestan Lane
Effingham
Surrey
KT24 5SN

Dominic Allan's in Bruton in Somerset. He makes flutes, bagpipes and stuff.

Last edited:
Dave King makes acoustic guitars near basingstoke (kingsclere), not that far from you and a really nice bloke.

Check out sites such as the British Violin Makers Association for luthiers. West Dean college in Sussex has an instrument making department

You may also want ot get in touch with Keith Graves the Head of the MIT department at the South Thames College (used to be Merton College) a few of the tutors there are also instrument makers and Keith would be able to steer you in the right direction.
Good luck it sounds like a really interesting project!