All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Musical Instrument Gold Laquer

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Simple question where can you buy the gold Laquer used on saxes. I have had no luck trying to find a supplier I even went to a local manufacturer ie HMG (H Marcel Guest ) and they were totally bemused by my request

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Perhaps look at sources which supply parts and supplies to techs ? (or ask some local techs ?)

The issue here is gonna be: application. It is hard for a DIY'er to get any sort of consistent finish with good longevity via a spray can, as mfr's use professional setups as well as heat to apply their lacqs. Spray lacqs are OK for some spot-lacquering, or you can even use a brush for that, but if you are intending an entire horn, that is a bear of a job (particularly do to prep work involved as well).

Ferrees Tools, here in US, I believe sells little jars of spot lacq (and you can even mix the tint in to make it light or dark) but again that is just for spot lacquering....

Best of luck.

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
@JayeNM thanks for your advice it seems to be a no go area this relaquering thing and as I was hoping too do a full relaquer I can imagine that a lot of it is the preparation of the sax prior to actual spraying, I know that a lot of older saxes quite often of American origin have been relaquered in their past evidenced by any engraving on the sax being badly worn away so this must be a problem in the preparation of the sax prior to relaquering but my main problem at the moment is actually getting hold of the correct Laquer in England

jbtsax

Subscriber
This is what many repair techs use to spot lacquer or touch up parts. Nikolas Gold Lacquer

I would strongly recommend not trying to re-lacquer a saxophone yourself---been there, done that. Aside from the beautiful engraving done by Jaice Dumars after I sold the tenor to him, see how the finish looked after a period of time. This was a Conn tenor I scrapped together from two junk tenors I found in pawn shops. "Franken Tenor" was what I called it.

1581089305087.jpeg

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
This is what many repair techs use to spot lacquer or touch up parts. Nikolas Gold Lacquer

I would strongly recommend not trying to re-lacquer a saxophone yourself---been there, done that. Aside from the beautiful engraving done by Jaice Dumars after I sold the tenor to him, see how the finish looked after a period of time. This was a Conn tenor I scrapped together from two junk tenors I found in pawn shops. "Franken Tenor" was what I called it.

View attachment 14099
Thanks John I see what you mean it hardly looks like it was lacquered at all but just bare brass left to oxidise terrible shame what had actually happened to cause that

rhysonsax

Who on earth used to re-lacquer all those old saxes
Sometimes the instruments went back to the factory, sometimes it was done by instrument technicians.

It is only fairly recently (maybe the last 30 years) that the fad for "original lacquer" has become so widespread and affected values. Before that I think players wanted their horns to look new and people hadn't started to speculate about any negative effects on the sound.

Rhys

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom