support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Musescore question

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I have a question regarding Musescore.

I am re-writing some of our music, as we get given pieces to play on the Bari in the band that are actually written in C on the bass clef.

I know that you can just "add 3 sharps and imagine it's written on the treble clef" which works fine until you get a load of accidentals and can't think that fast while sight-reading (as happened on Sunday)

So, the piece I'm working on has some low As (for those who don't know, the Bari can go to a low A, unlike other saxes that only go to low Bflat). I've put the low A on the score in Musescore, and instead of the note being black like all the other notes, it's come out a dark green on the screen.

When I play back the piece using the Musescore synthesised instrument, it plays the note I've written. I'm just curious to know why it's green.

My instinct tells me that the Musescore people don't know that the Bari can go to low A, so they've highlighted the note. I haven't tried adding any true out-of-range notes to see if they also go green.

Just curious about this anomoly really, it doesn't affect my score when it's printed.

Excerpt from the Musescore Help File ... :)

EDIT: I have version 1.1 Mandy - I get a dirty Yellow to Lime Green sort of colour or Red ...

Colouring of notes out of playable range

MuseScore colours out-of-range notes as yellow or red in versions 0.9.5 or later.

Notes above or below the comfortable range of an amateur appear yellow, note beyond the comfortable range of a professional appear red. The colours are informational and appear on the computer screen but do not appear on printed copies of your scores. To disable note colours in versions 0.9.6 or later choose Edit → Preferences... (Mac: MuseScore → Preferences...), click on the Note Entry tab, and unmark "Colour notes outside of usable pitch range".

You may be using a different version to the one stated above ... which may account for yours showing greener than mine ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing someone in Musscore knows his stuff, and this is a warning that it's occasionally playable (depending on Bari model), but not yet documented.

What happens if you get lower - e.g. G# or G? These should go red, and I've seen this when setting up stuff for tenor (and getting it wrong...)

You are correct Kev, they do go red...above or below the normal range.

Thanks for the answer Sunray, I'm running version 1.1, but it's definitely green to my eyes :w00t:

however, I've just noticed that where you've put "yellow" it is also green to my eyes... so, I either have an eye issue, or my monitor is way out of tune! :confused:

All these smileys are yellow, though.

Yep - Its the way different monitors and computer display settings show colours ...

I don't think its your eyes Mandy ...

The yellow it talks of isn't as yellow as the smilies as you say ... :)

Just got to my machine to check.... I'm running Musescore 1.1. Anything below A is shown as red, A is shown grey, Bb and above are black. So they've been a bit clever here.... I'm impressed. Same happens at the higher end. Altissimo G# starts the greys, and C# above that is red. MAybe a little optimistic with the greys there.

My monitor's calibrated for photo work. Grey is one of those colours that easily looks like a different colour. So I guess it's a combination of your monitor, and possibly the room lighting. May be your eyes as well, but as Sunray says, unlikely - you'd probably be aware of it.

now that's yellow. Kev :welldone

but Sunray's yellow is very similar to the Musescore yellow - pretty much green. :w00t:

Maybe he used the musescore hex values for the colour.... Computers/Tvs make Yellow from Red and Green, but if you add Blue or don't have enough Red, the result is a Green.

The trouble with using Yellow on a computer screen is that it doesn't show up well in smaller things, like text or note symbols, especially if the background is white. So darkening it a bit (not too much or it becomes brown) or tinting it a bit are needed to make it visible.

Doesn't really matter, we've sorted it out now.

This reply is to all of you "Orrible Lot" ... [Great Big Grin] :)))

Who assume I have no idea what the colour YELLOW is ... ;}

Regarding Yellow ... [Linky Thingy] here are a few images for you ...

There are various different shades and hue's of Yellow - here are just a few 1234

Custard is usually quite Yellow ...
So are some smilies ... :)
Canaries are mostly Yellow ...
So are Baby Chickens ...
Yellow Ducks are Yellow ...
Ripe banana's are also Yellow ...
Some Rose's [Petal's] are Yellow ...

But the leaves on Plants and Trees are often shades of GREEN ...

PS - "You are all dunces" - "You got it all wrong" ...

I used a shade of Green ... Not Yellow to highlight the point I was making in the post ...

Simples ...

Great reply Sunray! :)))

Talking about colours, my son's biology teacher told them that anything living that was green had chlorophyl as a pigment - and that there were only plants that were green.... no green non plants.... So no green fish, spiders, beetles, insects, birds, frogs, toads, lizards, snakes...... Bet she doesn't know about sea cucumbers, either. Oh, and no green elements.

Worries me! What other misinformation is she feeding my 14yo?

Talking of MuseScore... does anyone know anyone that can convert pieces for me into MuseScore from handwritten pieces? I've got a few to do but I just don't have the time, I am happy to pay whoever is up to the job. Maybe I should start a new thread and ask...