support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Moving to Indonesia

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
My wife and I will be moving to Bandung Indonesia in two weeks time.

By any chance do any forum members (or guests) have know of any jazz or saxophone contacts/venues there?

Nope! But open your ears to the local gamelan music. It's amazing and infectious. Might take a while to get to really hear it, but once you do you will be amazed. I’d want to try and play sax lines and fit in.

Last time I was in Lombok the hotel had a resident gamelan trio playing by the pool every day.... Fantastic

Thanks ot you both.The local stuff is interesting - (this is not my first visit - my wife is Indonesian). There's also a local pop music style called dangdut, based more on the Arabic/indian tradition. Here's an example I taped from a family party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0YhdXTzf4&list=UUwQMq0DaO7NwbsrtjnoO9pQ&index=20

The singer is a cousin - my wife is in the long skirt.

I was more interested in the jazz side of things - which apparently is quite lively.

My wife and I will be moving to Bandung Indonesia in two weeks time.

By any chance do any forum members (or guests) have know of any jazz or saxophone contacts/venues there?

Hi King and good luck with your move. Regards. N.

In a hot 'n humid climate can you get issues with mouldy pads or brass corrosion?

Just idle curiosity

My sax has lived in Hong Kong since 1993 and seems to have suffered no ill effects from the humidity here.

Actually where we're going to live (near Bandung) is about 2500 ft above sea level, so the humidity is much less than say Jakarta, making for a very pleasant climate.

Thanks and good luck: it sounds lovely

I stayed with friends in Hong Kong in the early 90's for a couple of weeks and sneeked a few blasts on the sax in the grounds outside their apartment in Mid Levels in the hot evening air

Lived in Mid Levels myself for four years. Have loved my 22 years in Hong Kong but time to move on! Will miss the music scene and my muso friends a lot - but I'm sure Indonesia will provide some outlets for that part of my life.

Back
Top Bottom