All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpieces, and do I need a new one?

akame

Locality
Fens of Lincolnshire
My first sax teacher tried to encourage me to "drop" my jaw when playing the lowest notes, which is similar on trumpet too. Unless there is a slight technical problem it is possible that it is about tight embouchure. It is perfectly possible to play notes an octave above your fingering by tightening your embouchure.

Yes, I think you are right. The lower D I struggle with, but it gets better going higher (ie E, F etc). Having come from a clarinet, I need to relax my embouchure more. My tutor said that would be a problem to start with. Maybe I am blowing too hard as well?

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
The challenge is to have a very solid air stream, but not a fast one.............!

Marty-B

Locality
Leeds
The yamaha 4c is a real easy and pleasant mouthpiece to use,I moved onto one after starting on a Conn precision which came with my sax , as others will probably know the Conn isn't a particularly good mpc, so then I tried out a Berg Larsen 6 which had a much fuller , richer sound compared to the Yam.But I've just bought a Trevor James classic II alto and as part of the deal on the trade in on my old sax I got a Selmer S80 C*,wow what a differance to the others ,especially on clarity and projection,I know there not cheap ,about £90 but a quality mpc like this really can help to transform your sax's sound,and also instill confidance in learning to play.Good luck with the hunt!

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Re: low notes. I find it difficult to understand what I'm doing to get them. I just practice and it gets better. As I've mentioned elsewehere in the forum, I've just taken up playing baritone. Picked up the tenor today for the first time in about a week, and the low notes were a piece of cake. I have no idea what I was doing differently, it just worked. Had a similar experience going back to the alto when I took up the tenor.

Of course, this could end up like the old woman who swallowed the fly. To make the low notes on the bari better I shoud take up the bass, etc...

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom