support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece width

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
I've seen a couple of websites that have comparative charts for tip openings but nothing for the width of various mouthpieces.
Mine is 15.5mm across the widest part of the opening.
What is the range of widths and what would be considered wide, medium, narrow?

Hi there!

Mouthpiece width is usually decided by the size of a reed - my alto mouthpieces have the same with as a normal alto reed. I would be surprised to have a mouthpiece which differed from this. I am not sure that widths are other than uniform.

Kind regards
Tom

Generally when people talk about width, they mean tip opening. Confusing, isn't it.

I'm with Tom, but would like to add that the width/thickness of the side rails can vary, and this affects the real width internally....

I think that whenever we refer to "gaps" we use the concept of width. On a mouthpiece we should really talk about height when we refer to tip opening, or just stick with the concept of "opening" without inserting the word "width". Good point about internal dimensions. Maybe someone (Morgan or someone else) could explain the effect of wider/narrower internal dimensions on the sound likely to be produced.

Have a nice day y'all.....:w00t:
Tom:cool:

I agree that the maximum size must be dictated by the reed but there might be a difference the other way.
I'm sure I've seen references to different 'widths' but as you say they might mean tip openings, or it could be the physical width of the entire mouthpiece to allow for chamber shape.
I was wondering about it not so much for sound which is obviously affected by so many variables more for feel and comfort.

So partly we are talking about material used - HR mouthpieces are normally bigger than equivalent metal pieces, and also about the effect of chamber size. My tenor piece by Francois Louis has a ML chamber size but still is only about the same size as an Alto HR mouthpiece, which is very comfortable indeed for my own needs.

Good point!
Tom

Back
Top Bottom