support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Mouthpiece Sale At Howarths

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Account Closed
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
I realise there is a fine line between providing information and creating a potential GAS attack, :Dbut Howarths in London have a second hand mouthpiece sale at the moment. They have loads on their site, some at very good prices depending upon what the sellers want for them (commission sales via Howarth I believe). I rang yesterday about a metal Yani that was 2 years old, no problems, and sold for £60. New price is around £215. Not everything is as good but worth a look if you're on the hunt. There are vintage pieces too.

Yes, some nice mouthpieces on there, was looking at a couple of Lawton's they had listed, identical pieces but one made by junior and one made by senior, £100 difference, guess that confirms what James Carter was saying about them...

Yes, some nice mouthpieces on there, was looking at a couple of Lawton's they had listed, identical pieces but one made by junior and one made by senior, £100 difference, guess that confirms what James Carter was saying about them...

I don't know what James Carter said, but it may reflect supply/demand. If a mouthpiece gets a reputation (good or bad) that can affect the price, regardless of whether the reputation is deserved.

This is the link for the 2nd hand list at Howarth's: http://www.howarth.uk.com/wo/manuals/2hmouthpieces.htm

Rhys

PS A couple of the sold items are now in my possession.

I have not tried any of Jason's pieces but i have had mixed reactions to some of Geoff's pieces.
I have owned about 6 Lawtons all Geoffs and some have been very ordinary and very reed picky.
I currently own a mint Lawton alto Special 8 which is probably the best i have had but i still prefer my Brancher J23.

On the topic of Howarths sale there is a few i wouldn't mind trying but i am not sure its worth a trip to London to find out how good they are.

They sometimes allow things out on trial. Might be worth an ask.

some have been very ordinary and very reed picky.
I currently own a mint Lawton alto Special 8 which is probably the best i have had.
Yes I have an exceptional 7*BB Lawton, does anything you want, I also have a 10b, and although a very nice piece is a bit reed picky.

Just for you Rhys, he starts talking about Lawton's at about 50 Min's in and goes on to talk about the differences between the two Lawton's at 54.40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v7bcVdgHgcI

Thanks Fraser - Wow for the playing !

And interesting comments, although a bit strong in his criticism of Jason's workmanship in my experience. Other people are also claiming a big distinction between the work of father and son, so that will definitely have an effect on secondhand prices.

I have got a lot of Lawton mouthpieces (several each SATB) and think they are wonderful. I also spoke on the 'phone to Geoff Lawton and later on to Jason - both of them were very interesting and helpful.

Rhys

They sometimes allow things out on trial. Might be worth an ask.

Thanks,i don't know whether they would do trials on mpc's that are owned by others but it was the Freddie Gregory pieces i wanted to try but looking at the price maybe its best they are in London and i am in the midlands.

If they are marked up as a SALE item, which I believe they are , then you need to try in the shop.

Thanks Fraser - Wow for the playing !

And interesting comments, although a bit strong in his criticism of Jason's workmanship in my experience. Other people are also claiming a big distinction between the work of father and son, so that will definitely have an effect on secondhand prices.

I have got a lot of Lawton mouthpieces (several each SATB) and think they are wonderful. I also spoke on the 'phone to Geoff Lawton and later on to Jason - both of them were very interesting and helpful.

Rhys

I think they are wonderfully made probably the best made pieces out there,but i just can't get on with them,probably me more than the mpc.My mpc is years old but would pass for new,not a mark on it anywhere.

If they are marked up as a SALE item, which I believe they are , then you need to try in the shop.

James this is what i thought which is just as well because i need to fight the GAS especially due to the cost of the FG's.

I bought a Theo Wanne HR Brahma, really nice piece, great service, arrived next day.

Ordered a Brancher Ebony (off the New Sale and not the Used Sale) and will let you know what it's like when it arrives. My favorite Raganato developed a crack in the tip yesterday so decided I needed another wooden piece in case I can't repair the Raganato. Hopefully moving from an 8* to a 9 will not kill me but I really struggled to find a comparison of the table curve lengths between the two so it's a bit of a gamble and probably a reed experiment coming up.

Not tried the Brancher Ebony's but if it plays as good as the metal J series altos you are in for a treat.

Not tried the Brancher Ebony's but if it plays as good as the metal J series altos you are in for a treat.

Brian

i hope so... It's the Large chamber not the Jazz model but my Raganato is also a Large chamber so it will be interesting. I'm nervous about the facing curve length but I guess I can always try a very soft reed to get used to it...

Back
Top Bottom