All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece request and advice.

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
OK, stupid question time: How does a metal mouthpiece differ playing wise from a plastic one? All of mine are plastic yet i see other players with the metal versions and I have been curious.

Lx

Not a stupid question at all

Opinions vary

Pete Thomas recently compared an ebonite version of his ppt mouthpiece with the metal one that has identical dimensions and there was no appreciable distinction

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Smaller in the mouth, otherwise the same.

TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
If you go to Howarth's you could try the following - Jody Jazz HR*, LeBayle Jazz Ebonite, Lomax NY and LA, and Vandoren V16 HR, with a Fobes Debut as an excellent cheapie!

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
They play the same. Metal used to be slimer so some prefered the mouth position but with modern materials some plastics are pretty slim. A metal mouthpiece used to be considered more robust and knock resistant but again with modern materials some plastics are bullet proof. There's the feel of metal in the mouth to consider. Some don't like the cold clinical feel. I have metal for alto, plastic for baritone and soprano and hard rubber for tenor. So long as it plays I'm not bothered what it's made of.

jazzdoh

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Howarths is the place to go if you live in London,they have a bigger selection of mpc's than sax.co.uk London.

Try all that are in your price range,i found the FL, Brancher and Vandoren V16 mpcs to be great but with the exception of the V16 they are about £40 above your price range but everyone is different so you might like something else.

aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Evening all, over the past few months I have been using a Sharkbite metal alto 6 mouthpiece lower end of the price range. I feel very comfortable with this but I would like to purchase a better quality mouthpiece my budget is about Max £125.00 I have been looking at a Bari alto metal 5 which is in the price range. I need advice. Thanks in advance. Regards N.
Navarro, PM me and come and have a coffee at my place (top stove). I have a few mouthpieces in my drawer.
For once I will recommend a piece knowing how the person plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
aldevis

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Pete Thomas recently compared an ebonite version of his ppt mouthpiece with the metal one that has identical dimensions and there was no appreciable distinction
I tried the same mouthpieces and found an appreciable distinction.
(It is a can of worms, I know, but the subject is not as simple as it seems :) )

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I tried the same mouthpieces and found an appreciable distinction.
(It is a can of worms, I know, but the subject is not as simple as it seems :) )

Back to the drawing board...