Mouth/Lips/Throat Control

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
While "double lip" embouchure is used on clarinet and saxophone by some players, it is quite uncommon. The traditional "pedagogy" of saxophone tone production has the weight of the head supported by the top teeth on the top of the mouthpiece. Beginners are often uncomfortable at first feeling the vibrations through the teeth, but that goes away. As others have said, a thick mouthpiece patch is a good solution. The challenge of using a "double lip" is that it requires a much greater muscle strength to achieve. My advice to beginning players is to master tone production using traditional methods first, and then experiment with other methods once that has been achieved.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Speaking of what the mouth does......do I HAVE to touch the reed with my tongue in between each note?
Yes

Some synthetic reeds have a different texture, if that's what you don't like about cane

If it's the reed vibration your tongue doesn't like, see if you can use a portion of the tongue further back from its tip... it's what I do

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Never realized how much “control” is involved, with the mouth, lips, tongue, etc!!

Gives me a new level of respect for you seasoned players!!

Anyone have any thoughts on using my top lip on the mouthpiece, instead of my teeth?

Implications???
No problem, it's called a double lip embouchure and if it works for you 9as it has for several grated players0 then I see no problems.

There are a couple of interviews out there that are on YouTube. But you’re right of course. He is dead. Imagine what he went through trying to relearn how to play the trumpet again though!

Top Bottom