Mouth/Lips/Throat Control

Never realized how much “control” is involved, with the mouth, lips, tongue, etc!!

Gives me a new level of respect for you seasoned players!!

Anyone have any thoughts on using my top lip on the mouthpiece, instead of my teeth?

Implications???

I know it’s wrong, but I like using my top lip on the mouthpiece with my tooth behind it holding it down, rather than putting my teeth directly on top of the mouthpiece.

Tear that apart for me would you please.

I suppose there may be notes that I won’t be able to reach because I can’t squeeze hard enough that way, but I’m too much of a rookie to know that yet

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Anyone have any thoughts on using my top lip on the mouthpiece, instead of my teeth?
In general, having a non-standard embouchure seems like a bad idea for a beginner unless there is a very good reason for it.

I just tried it. Seemed to be fine, but I found it a little harder work to maintain the right mouth shape. But that's probably just getting used to it.
However, a mouthpiece patch seems like an easier way to create a cushion. I like the thicker ones.

I really disliked having my teeth on the mouthpiece at first, but my teacher encouraged me to do it, and now I don't think about it.

Last edited:

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
There is an alto player in my big band who uses her upper lip. She’s been playing that way since she was a child and it works for her.

I am not nearly experienced enough to suggest one way or another for you. Just pointing out that the double lip embouchure while not common, is not unheard of.

Top Bottom