support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recipes Mixed Vegetable Curry

Luluna

Café Supporter
Locality
Vermont, USA
This is a great one-pot meal. I sometimes double the recipe, as everyone in my house fights for the leftovers the next day.

~ 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
~ 5 garlic cloves, peeled
~ 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
~ 1 tsp mustard seed
~ 1 tsp cumin seed
~ 2 large tomatoes (1.5 pounds total) roughly chopped (or substitute a can or two of chopped tomatoes)
~ 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
~ coarse salt and ground pepper
~ 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
~ 1/2 pound okra, stemmed and halved lengthwise (or asparagus or eggplant)
~ 3 cups cooked white rice, for serving

1. In a food processor, puree ginger and garlic with 1/4 cup water until mostly smooth.

2. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add mustard seed and cumin seed and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ginger-garlic paste; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until beginning to break down, about 3 minutes.

3. Add potatoes and 3.5 cups water; season with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and boil until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Fold in cauliflower and okra, partially cover, and cook until tender, 9 to 10 minutes. Serve curry with rice and if you like, a dollop of plain yogurt.

Serves 4 ~ prep time: 20 minutes ~ total time: 40 minutes

I also thought this might be helpful :) It's a conversion table for cooking. http://www.botanical.com/botanical/cvcookix.html

Pete, :eek:
Could you please ban all talk of curry, that is just cruel.

I only have to see a grain of rice or hear of people chopping tomatos and I drawl.
It's just not fair, how's a guy supposed to stay ripped :D I'm lucky if my curry indulgance is less than my visits to the gym per year as it is!

But seriously....that sounds very good ;}
P.S. If I look big boned in the avatar ...it's muscle! :D

You'll have to invite me over to your place some time. I'll bring the wine.

I couldn't countenance doing that at home, I'm a single bloke!

Cumin, ginger (sliced crosswise), okra (stemmed and halved lengthwise)?
Whaaaaaat?
I'm not going to that trouble for myself, and neither is any other bloke I've ever known.

I'm sure it is wonderful, but......
I think I fancy fish and chips tomorrow afternoon. I'm a back-to-basics type of fella. If I feel adventurous I may boil some frozen peas to provide a colourful diversion. If I can be bothered, probably not.

That's the thing. It's great to cook for others, like some primal feeling of providing. It gives you a kick. Great!

But never under-estimate the healing properties of the great 'Cheesy-beeno'.
Please ruminate furiously on one side of your paper only.

I never thought vegetable curry would cause such a ruckus! :w00t:

Truth be told, I didn't learn to cook until I was 40ish....don't ask! :)))

Living on the side of a mountain with the nearest grocery a 30 minute drive - it's a survival skill!

Feel free to substitute liberally as needed...........fish n chips for the vegetable curry sounds great. I've not tasted any decent fish n chips anywhere here yet, and no one seems to understand why I want malt vinegar with them.

fyi - Sunday night meals here are an event, we feed whoever shows up ;}

Hey Lulu Hiya
Do americans eat curry? Looking at your recipe, not very well:shocked:
Different kind of 'Indians' in your country:)
Maybe you can give us a 'Sioux souffle', an 'Apache appetiser', 'Mohawk mousse', 'Cherokee chouder' etc?
Just make your standard stew, bung in a couple of tbspns of curry powder, crushed garlic, and a handful of currants, and bingo! a curry!
Bon apetite

Ps don't forget the Camp coffee

"Camp Coffee" ..... please elaborate :)

It's not the stuff made from acorns is it?

"Camp Coffee" ..... please elaborate :)

It's not the stuff made from acorns is it?

No, not quite, it's got chicory in it. See the thread on Camp, all will be revealed. Hey, just had a thought, a tbspn or two of Camp in your curry might work wonders!!:w00t:

I can't get my head around the idea of a curry with no chilli in it? Doesn't need to blow your head off but it seems an essential ingredient.

I live alone but make large curries and freeze any which survives the first attack (or give some to the neighbours).

I make my curry powder from some of: black pepper(always), cumin, fenugreek, cinnamon, cardamom and coriander seeds, dried chilli and cloves(1 or 2).
Toasted dry in a pan, then ground in a mortar and some turmeric and saffron added.

(Or a spoonful of good-quality curry powder.....or some Tabasco sauce... if I am feeling lazy :) )

the last good curry powder I acquired was on a visit to Chester/Liverpool 6 years ago!

I do put hot chili sauces on the table so everyone can heat it up to their desired temperature.

I seem to have developed a sensitivity to the heat (a/k/a ulcer) so maybe I should rename the recipe...."Mixed Vegetable Curry for Wimps"?

Don't get me wrong, I and my digestive system are not fans of scorchingly-hot dishes(especially the following day :eek: )..... I just like a touch of 'warmth' and use a few drops of Tabasco in many dishes.

Back
Top Bottom