PPT mouthpieces

Humour Misheard Lyrics - O Fortuna, from Carmina Burana

Luluna

Café Supporter
Locality
Vermont, USA
My dear friend Madge sings soprano with the Chicago Symphony Chorus - they opened Carnegie Hall's season this year with Carmina Burana. Maestro Ricarrdo Muti is so serious, but I admit all I could hear in my head were these words... (most of them anyway). You can get booted from the hall if you giggle too much. :)))

Last edited by a moderator:
That's wickedly funny, thanks. :)))

My kids went to Orff schools.... Guess I need to pass this on. :mrcool

♪♫ "Gopher tuna! Bring more tuna! Statue of a big dog with fleas.. some men like cheese, hot temperate cheese, green chalk can taste like hippies" ♪♫

I've pinched this and put it on my fb wall.

So funny.

Reminds me of my youngster singing to sting on the radio

"I'm an alien, I'm an evil alien"

As a foreigner I am prone to misunderstanding in lyrics, and often find pronunciation of latin words here quite funny.
But what "Obladi Oblada"?

As a foreigner I am prone to misunderstanding in lyrics, and often find pronunciation of latin words here quite funny.
But what "Obladi Oblada"?

60s hit from the Beatles, Marmalade and others. First line of this irritatingly immortal (unfortunately) ditty runs: 'Desmond said to Molly in the market place' And then the 'obladi oblada life goes on' etc.

You'll find many versions on youtube. But beware, your sanity may suffer...

And then the 'obladi oblada life goes on' etc.

I was hoping in some hidden meaning, something like "o bloody bladder" about someone that cannot find a toilet...
But then I realized it is the same guy that wrote:
"naaaaaaaa, na, na, nanana naaaaaaaaaaaa. Nanana naaaaaaaaa. Hey Jude".

Looking for inanity in songs by The Beatles is rather like looking for the haystack around the needle.

I too thought Obladi sounded like 'Oh bloody' and it always seemed slightly naughty to listen to it.

For those wondering what it really said..

Carmina Burana - Cantiones Profanae, openig movement is entitled "O Fortuna"

Oh Fortuna, velut Luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis;
vita manis et inanis,
rota tu volubilis,
status malus, vana salus semper disolubilis,
obumbrata et velata michi quoque niteris;
nunc per ludum dorsum nudum fero tui sceleris....

etc.

Text is from the vocal score I used a few years ago published by Schott.

Interesting use of "michi" as the ablative form which is usually written (in English use of Latin anyway) as "mihi".

Latin pronunciation is a mine-field with a big difference in modern English pronunciation between classical and liturgical Latin. Liturgical Latin is generally pronounced in an Italianate style nowadays. "Caesar" would be "chie-zar" (rhymes with tie-zar) whereas classical Latin would be more like kai-sar (as in German ruler Kaiser) and Cicero would be kick-err-oh rather than siss-err-oh.

semper crescis aut decrescis;

I tried to explain the concept to an American guy once, with no luck. No Fortuna.

"michi" is misspelled, clearly. "mihi" is the correct form.

I tried to explain the concept to an American guy once, with no luck. No Fortuna.

"michi" is misspelled, clearly. "mihi" is the correct form.
Very droll...

I believe "michi" is a medieval Latin thing? Not an expert...

Very droll...

I believe "michi" is a medieval Latin thing? Not an expert...

You are actually right. I just found it out with some googling. At school, Medieval latin was widely ignored, despite some acceptance of contemporary liturgical Latin

Is 'mini midi michi' a declension of skirt lengths?