support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

mid-south Wales

sandeha

That's where I live.

I started playing alto a few years ago, and gradually (very gradually) I think I've improved. Funny thing though, the first teacher (well, only teacher) I ever saw said to me that as long as I had my own teeth I'd be fine - I think he understood that at 51 (as was) teeth could be an issue.

Not true !! This summer I had the four main supporters out and a whole lot of moulding and casting. I can tell you that acrylic plays louder, faster and finer than old enamel ever did. I'll admit to slightly less saliva control (LOL) but my playing has really taken off since.

All credit to my dentist if the neighbours complain. ;}

Sandeha

Welcome Sandeha. Perhaps your teacher was a clarinet player. My own music teacher had the devil of a time relearning the clarinet after loosing his teeth. His wife told me that he bounced a few clarinets off the wall, in frustration. The saxophone seems to be less of a problem. Enjoy the cafe.

Jim.

Welcome to the caff, it seems we have a growing Taffy contingent, maybe you could all get together and "have Tooting in the hillsides" :w00t: Have fun with the new plastic (?)

Welcome to the new forum. If I remember correctly from the old Breakfastroom, you are a photographer of no small talent. Hopefully you'll share some pics with us (again) soon.

Welcome.

Yes, don't forget our friends on the Tooting Popular Front -"Power to the People!".

When Bunk Johnson (forgive me for mentioning trumpeters) was rediscovered, he had no teeth. Sidney Bechet's dentist brother Leonard made him a set - I read they cost $60, but sounds excessive for 1940, or at least mean-spirited of Dr Bechet - and he only wore them to play. His gums were hard enough to eat with otherwise. Similarly George Lewis, when picked for Bunk's band, wrapped a front tooth with brown paper to stop it falling out and he had terrible dental problems for much of the rest of his clarinet-famed life. So there must surely be hope for us elders who still have our own teeth.

Colin

Hi Sandeha!

I'll be looking out for you tonight as I'll be passing Pontardawe to see the Asere gig in Ystradgynlais. Glad that you are back in circulation, and that you are doing well on the good old saxy phone.

Kind regards
Tom :cool:

Welcome to the new forum. If I remember correctly from the old Breakfastroom, you are a photographer of no small talent. Hopefully you'll share some pics with us (again) soon.

Thanks to all. Indeed the teacher I referred to is a clarinet player as well as flute and sax.

Pete, thanks. I've put a couple of shots of my baby in an album here. :thankyou:

Sandeha, I'm amazed by your pictures, you have managed to capture the fire dancers and keep them well focused and only slightly blurred, yet the fire is forming rings and lines, I'm very new to photography and I understand some of the ideas behind shutter speed and depth of field etc. What setting did you use to capture the movement so well, did you use a flash and could I achieve such results with an Olympus E410?

Sandeha, I'm amazed by your pictures, you have managed to capture the fire dancers and keep them well focused and only slightly blurred, yet the fire is forming rings and lines, I'm very new to photography and I understand some of the ideas behind shutter speed and depth of field etc. What setting did you use to capture the movement so well, did you use a flash and could I achieve such results with an Olympus E410?

Taz, glad you like'em. Your camera would be as good as mine for this but you'd also want at least one good manual flash gun. In the most recent sets, I've had two flashes, one on camera and one on a cable from the hotshoe. Camera right hand, and one flash in left. Both on manual full power.

At night, a slow shutter speed (depends on reflecting areas around the main subject, but generally between /2 and 1 sec) will pick up the fire trail. Using the rear-curtain sync setting, the flashes go off at the end of the shutter opening so that the person is illuminated for a millisecond just before the shutter closes. This captures the chain at the head of the fire trail, in the same way that rear-curtain sync will give car light trails going in the right direction!

The aperture just needs to be 'enough' - most of these are f.11. Auto-focusing can be tricky at night, so you need some depth of field. ISO 400, and everything shot in RAW so I can make exposure or white balance adjustments after. If you experiment with a friend and a packet of sparklers you'll see how and when you might need to adjust the settings a little, one way or the other. Give it a try.

You'll also find me on Flickr.

Nice selection of equipment there and a very good eye. Pleased to see the technical camera as the last example. Used to use a MPP Technical for industrial about 45 years ago. Wish the company had presented it to me, the mean swines.

Lot of folders there, any bellow leaks? Final question, do you do your own servicing?
Thanks for showing us this Aladin's Cave.

Nice selection of equipment there and a very good eye. Pleased to see the technical camera as the last example. Used to use a MPP Technical for industrial about 45 years ago. Wish the company had presented it to me, the mean swines.

Lot of folders there, any bellow leaks? Final question, do you do your own servicing?
Thanks for showing us this Aladin's Cave.

I do indeed. Shutters are frustrating fun and bellows can be a pain. However, over the past few years I've learned to make my own bellows should they need replacing. I've just received a 1912 Houghton Folding Klito (for free!) which I'm going over. The bellows are good but the back is for sheet film only so I'll probably use the (very nice) lens on another camera.

This thread is reminding me that many musicians have other creative interests! Which can only be a good thing. ;}

Back
Top Bottom