support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Metric v Imperial Measurements

Am I the only one that still uses cubits, spans, and 'pouce' when I can't be bothered to find my tape measure?

And so to thread sizes. Whitworth was clever. His thread sizing system was wonderful, most of my bikes were held together with Whitworth, British Standard Fine, and the odd dash of 26TPI and 20TPI Cycle Thread just for fun.
It is a great sadness that there is no metric equivalent to Whitworth.

I think in feet and inches and pounds and stones but calculate in SI units.
Ah the delights of the ton vs tonne!

Am I the only one that still uses cubits, spans, and 'pouce' when I can't be bothered to find my tape measure?

And so to thread sizes. Whitworth was clever. His thread sizing system was wonderful, most of my bikes were held together with Whitworth, British Standard Fine, and the odd dash of 26TPI and 20TPI Cycle Thread just for fun.
It is a great sadness that there is no metric equivalent to Whitworth.

I think in feet and inches and pounds and stones but calculate in SI units.
Ah the delights of the ton vs tonne!
Please, God no!!!! When I was a kid in elementary school they taught us not just inches, feet, yards, and miles, but rods which in my experience nobody outside that 7th grade text book has ever used in real life. As they said, Spare the Rod and Spoil the child for he shall never have need of it. That went along with bushels and pecks which unless you worked in agriculture or a wholesale vegetable market have not been heard of since then anyplace that I have seen. I think it was something from Mark Twain's time, when he worked on that steamboat and was measuring the depth of the water with a rope. After that everything was in ounces and pounds and nobody who is not a farmer is dealing with pecks, whatever the hell they even are. I imagine a peck is the amount of grain a turkey can gooble up in a minute of pecking. How many pecks can a woodpecker peck when a woodpecker pecks on a tree? Ask the people who wrote Arithmetic texts in the 1950s, they can also tell you what time the train that leaves Grand Central Station at 10 a.m. in 1899 will arrive in Boston if it travels at an average of 5.66666 Rods per hour and only stops in New Haven and Hartford for 20 minutes each to take on coal and water.

Decimal rather than metric, I think. Same sort of advantages when it comes to doing sums.

Rhys
Shhhhh. Everyone I tell it makes them think how easy the metric system is to use. The biggest US obstacle is the general public being mathematically stupid. Yet everyone can count money including tax percentages.

A friend and I were trying to replace a freeze plug in an engine the other day. The part was stamped 1 59/64. I needed to increase the size and additional .0165(1/64) thus making the size 2” The inch is just stupid for measuring.
By 1995 In my print shop I had everyone educated on converting. All the materials came in and went out in inch format. Everything internally was worked in millimeters. All the machinery was metric.
It took a lot of stress out for employees with math issues.

What is Hex a decimal? I've heard of people putting hexes on others for various reasons, like hatred, jealousy, lost love, or revenge, but never on a decimal. Decimals are totally peace loving and never hurt anyone. It's not right, I say!!

Due to you not being a native speaker of English or living in an English language environment, I'll give you leeway for that post. However, if you are truly fluent in English It's obvious that you lack awareness of verbal humor in such a blatantly obvious a non-serious joke question. It was a play on words, a form of linguistic humor of which many on here are fond. I don't use emojis to signal the import of discourse, any more than novelists do. The point of linguistic humor and puns, is that they are apparent by themselves.

To put a Hex on Someone = to cast a spell, to put a curse using voodoo or some other type of sorcery. I wasn't actually asking what a hexadecimal is, because the import of my post was the joking idea that someone could cast a spell on a decimal to affect it in some way as if it were a person. Get it?? Man, lighten up and laugh a little. You're too serious for the current state of affairs.

Not totally, only 90 % so when they are with their Deci mates.
That was only back during the Trojan Wars when they won the battle against the Greeks and kicked pythagor ass.
I am a native English speaker. But as you are american, I'll give you leeway for having an atrophied sense of humor.
Man, that's a shock. Are you from North Dakota? You remind me of the Stoic non-smiling character in Fargo who put Steve Buscemi's character in the wood chipper. Perhaps you are young and not into puns of the Dad joke variety that so many of us old farts enjoy. Life's too short and sad not to laugh at all of it, believe me. Don't wait until you are so old that your face is frozen, as my best friend's Irish grandma used to tell us.

This is why I use a standard-agnostic spanner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 22

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom