All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Metric v Imperial Measurements

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
11/16 bari, 43/64 for tenor, 5/8 alto, 17/32 soprano and they should all be cylindrical. I have "opened up" pieces using a drill press and hand-holding the MPC, not really the best way but I'd prefer it over a hand reamer.
What a nightmare these fractional measurements! It's time to transition to metric. The only sensible scientific and engineering system there is... :confused2:

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Oh boy. I guess dividing by 64 is really tough for Europeans.
It's not. But if you worked just a little with any scientific problem, you would agree that the metric system is the only one that makes sense. The only reason the completely obsolete American measurement system is still used is that it's American and it's been tought to millions of ignorant non scientific pupils for far too many years. It's really a pity. Not understanding this is like ignoring the earth is not flat or refusing to accept that Joe Biden won the presidential election...

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
@turf3 The irony of the 'United States customary units' is that it is an heritage from the British Empire that you fought with the help of my French ancestors! It's a completely useless, confusing and impractical system.

I am in no way an enemy of the USA. I have many friends and family there, but there are some serious legacy issues in this country that needs to be addressed and in my (not so) humble opinion, it is one of them!

turf3

Locality
Earth
It's not. But if you worked just a little with any scientific problem, you would agree that the metric system is the only one that makes sense. The only reason the completely obsolete American measurement system is still used is that it's American and it's been tought to millions of ignorant non scientific pupils for far too many years. It's really a pity. Not understanding this is like ignoring the earth is not flat or refusing to accept that Joe Biden won the presidential election...
So I guess my 35 years of work as a practicing mechanical engineer, using Imperial, SI, and metric systems, in designing products for mass production, is not applicable?

I have a phrase for you but I can't type it here or I'll get banned. I'll just say that opinionated ignorance is a no-no.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
So I guess my 35 years of work as a practicing mechanical engineer, using Imperial, SI, and metric systems, in designing products for mass production, is not applicable?

I have a phrase for you but I can't type it here or I'll get banned. I'll just say that opinionated ignorance is a no-no.
I'm sorry I brought this up. Not the place. You are stuck with an obsolete system. It's not your fault. It's just sad and if you've had to deal with it 35 years, you know it.

turf3

Locality
Earth
Remarkably enough, those of us who do this for a living learn real fast how to multiply or divide by 25.4,

All the important constants are odd numbers anyway: the acceleration of earth gravity is 9.81 m/s2, Avogadro's number is 6.022E23, absolute zero is -273C, the moduli of elasticity of steel and aluminum, the universal gas constant, etc., etc., etc., etc. So that whole "factors of 10" thing really becomes insignificant when you're doing real actual work, rather than just flipping from meters to kilometers to millimeters. That's eighth grade stuff.

I grant that having two systems in the world is unnecessarily complex, but it doesn't mean the US is some benighted backwater that requires enlightenment from our superiors, either.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852
It's not. But if you worked just a little with any scientific problem, you would agree that the metric system is the only one that makes sense.
What about the scientific problem of cutting a cake into equal slices?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
New systems are introduced to simplify things, but they're just added to the pile of existing systems.
You think cake is a problem with imperial? Try Pi. Easier to have a cake each.
As a macinist/fitter I always had my Zeus handy in case 1mm = 0.040" was to inexact.
I never could work a vernier in 64ths though.
And what about English horse racing. Hands, furlongs and guineas and who went to the moon?

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
The earth is flat. I think Europe is on the other side. Technically we live in a parallel universe. I’ve only measured meat in pounds. I think McDonald’s does the same thing I’ve never heard of a 1/5 kilo burger. Wood I measure in inches. Metal I measure in millimeters. Fluids are no problem. There is only 8 ounce, 12 ounce, 16 ounce, or pint. My motorcycle holds Imperial gallons. I usually just filled to the full level. Absolutely none of the metric or standard wrenches fit. It’s all Whitworth wrenches. Sure glad as a printer I learned to measure and Picas & Agates.
6 picas is 1 inch or 14 agate but really it’s 25.4 mm
How 3/8 Whitworth is the same size as 7/16 British Standard is beyond me. At least that’s not used anymore.
5A1EE343-87BA-42AA-A2A2-AA559B7F30A6.jpeg

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom