• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Martin Indiana Saxophones - History and Models

Martin Indiana Saxophones Part 1 - The Indiana Band Instrument Company

I have been trying to learn more about Martin Indiana saxophones recently. The Indiana was the brand name for Martin’s second-line instruments.

I thought I would write down what I have found out. None of this information is new or original - I’m just trying to put it all in one place. And of course there may be mistakes in what I am writing.

My main sources have been “The Martin Story”, SaxPics, saxophone.org and SOTW.
The Martin Story website is an excellent resource for people who want to learn about Martin saxophones:
The Martin Story - All there is to know about Martin saxophones


The Indiana Band Instrument Company
The Indiana Band Instrument Company was created in 1928 by the Martin management as a brand for their second-line instruments. IBICo never had a separate existence from Martin and IBICo never had a separate factory. Indiana saxes were made in the main Martin factory in Elkhart. (See below for sources.)

There is an informative article on the history of Indiana saxophones in the Bassic Sax blog:
The Indiana Band Instrument Co. | The Bassic Sax Blog
This article quotes Greg Holtz, the grandson of the Martin Manager Fred Holtz:

“In December 1928, in order to broaden their customer base, Mr Bassett (majority owner and G.M.) and Grandad incorporated The Indiana Band Instrument Company. Like Conn had done several years earlier with their Pan American brand, and then Buescher, with their Elkhart Band Instrument division, it allowed Martin to produce and market a line of less costly instruments to those who could not afford the premium Martin offerings.

“These entities were wholly owned by their parent, but at least in the case of MBI, both Martin and Indiana lines were built on the same line by the same craftsmen. These were long before ‘student horns’ were ever conceived. Rather Martin brought older retired top-of-the-line models (with existing tooling) back to life. The Indiana horns were of excellent quality (the Indiana saxophone, for instance, was a dead ringer for the older Handcraft Standard premium horn).

“During war production buildup in 1942, Martin dropped the Indiana Band Instrument logo, and subsequently , labeled the horns as “INDIANA by Martin”. MBI did keep the serial numbers on a separate ledger.

“In 1961, Paul Richards, a businessman with little band instrument experience, purchased three companies (Martin, Blessing, Reynolds and their factories) to produce as many student horns as possible. With the success of ‘The Music Man’ on Broadway and the movie in the works, he had dreamed of a huge student horn boom. Sadly he was wrong and faced bankruptcy in less than two years.

“Wurlitzer, a longtime Martin client) picked up the pieces and operated the Elkhart plant for several years, until the Leblanc sale. The Indiana horns were produced throughout all those years.”


In another thread, another grandson, Chris Holtz, wrote:
“As many have noted the Indiana product line made use of older designs and tooling , perhaps also removing a feature or two.”
Source: Post #33 in the SOTW thread

https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/a-bit-of-martin-family-history.175073/page-2

And thomsax writes on a Cafe Sax thread:
“This is my own conclusions/thoughts. They are based on articles, books, contact with guys who knows and have worked on Martin saxes and a former Martin worker (in the 50') that I had contact with in late 80's.

“Where were they made?
I don't think they were made in separate buildings . But two companies IBICO (Indiana Band Instruments Company) and Martin Band Instruments. In the 50's they were made in the same building but not at the same time. The staff was told to clear out the benches/workplaces and make ready for Indiana production. They used old tools for Indiana. The tempo was high and the quality control was less. The shouldn't spend so much time on each saxophone. So they did lots of Indianas during a short (some weeks or months?) time. And If you see the serial charts many Indiana were made in late 50's. But It was also during these years the big market for student saxes increased.”
Source: Post #14 in the Café Saxophone thread

https://cafesaxophone.com/threads/saxophone-evolution.29351/#post-435686
indiana.webp
 
Phase 4
Martin became part of the Richards RMC ("Roundtable of Music Craftsmen") company in 1961.

There seem to have been two generations of Indiana during this period:
Phase 4a - Martin Indiana Instruments with an RMC shield on the bell.
Phase 4b - Richards-branded instruments
The Martin Story has pictures of both. (#85395 is an RMC Indiana and #89115 is a Richards Indiana)

The RMC Indiana looks like a Phase 3 instrument.

The Richards Indiana has a sheet-metal keyguard on the bell keys with a cut-out “R”, a sheet-metal low-C keyguard, nickel keywork and “Richards Martin Indiana” engraved on the bell. I don’t know whether the Richards Indiana’s are significantly different from the Phase 3 ones, but judging by the one picture I have seen on The Martin Story, it looks as if the keywork is different. Since Richards’ goal was to sell lots of entry-level saxophones, it seems likely that there would have been an attempt to cut Indiana production costs and increase production.

I think that the Richards Indiana only came in one form - there is not a separate Deluxe model. (Source: Martin Richards catalog from 1962 on saxophone.org: Saxophone Publications | Saxophone.org)
Thank you for a great write up on the Martin Saxophones! I think I have an early Richards Martin, as mine doesn't have the R key guard, or RMC on the bell; but I have it below the thumb rest. Here are pictures of my Alto for reference. Since I'm a basic member I can't post more than two photos. I'll share more if you want.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6020.webp
    IMG_6020.webp
    246.8 KB · : 135
  • IMG_6023.webp
    IMG_6023.webp
    106.3 KB · : 136
Thanks for the most informative article! I've just been given, (yes, given) a Martin. Circa 1963. Mostly playable, and has a nice tone, even with my Yamaha 4c mp. I look forward to servicing it and seeing how it turns out. Neck looks like it came from a Selmer Bundy? Surprisingly, high E and F is a breeze to play, (and I do mean, it's a pleasure to blow), where the low C is a hog. Quite the opposite to my Yamaha YT275. Cheers.
 

Attachments

  • 1189d196-582a-4fef-ad1f-06295e585f06.webp
    1189d196-582a-4fef-ad1f-06295e585f06.webp
    58.3 KB · : 75
  • b03b78ba-a73b-41ff-8c18-0ad53e3d9120.webp
    b03b78ba-a73b-41ff-8c18-0ad53e3d9120.webp
    21.1 KB · : 99
So, I have an Indiana Alto SN 37143, it looks like that would fall somewhere between 1943 and 1951... it's a "The Indiana by Martin", anyone have a guess to narrow that down a bit?
Pictures would help. The bell engraving and serial numbers area may offer clues.
You can probably find a comparable on “The Martin Story” site. Look under “Model Details- Indiana. Phase 3a ??
Serial numbers are vague, I’d guess it’s close to late ‘40s to early ‘50s. The SN# is under FAQ.
 
Pictures would help. The bell engraving and serial numbers area may offer clues.
You can probably find a comparable on “The Martin Story” site. Look under “Model Details- Indiana. Phase 3a ??
Serial numbers are vague, I’d guess it’s close to late ‘40s to early ‘50s. The SN# is under FAQ.
That’s where I got the ballpark, just wanted to narrow it down a bit. Here are some shots:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0409.webp
    IMG_0409.webp
    140.6 KB · : 100
  • IMG_0410.webp
    IMG_0410.webp
    121.7 KB · : 98
@nigeld may know ? I don’t see anything just yet that relates to a year.
I’m sure you’ve seen his thread.
Yup, and I think your Phase 3A is probably accurate, just hoping someone can narrow it down a bit. This was of my great acquisition of cheap altos last spring. This one I liked enough to pay someone else to fix, but I’m not in love with the repaid (got it back today and the damn a flat is sticking).
 
Most of "The Indiana" by Martin I have seen and sold were made around 1952-1954 or 1958-1959. A former Martin employed told that most of staff were told to put away the "The Martin" tools and just do Indianas !?! I have seen , here in Sweden, Martin stencils with serial numbers like yours. I think Martin stencils and Indiana after WWII were based on Martin Special body. Maybe unsold stencils that they later engraved with Indiana? It doesen't matter .... Indiana saxes are great.
 
Yup, and I think your Phase 3A is probably accurate, just hoping someone can narrow it down a bit. This was of my great acquisition of cheap altos last spring. This one I liked enough to pay someone else to fix, but I’m not in love with the repaid (got it back today and the damn a flat is sticking).
I completely understand how frustrating not being able to nail down the age / date is. These are great altos. Essentially a version of the original Handcraft.
Grrr, sticky pads that are new drive me nuts. Try a drop of zippo fluid on a Q-tip applied to pad & tone hole rim. Do this before playing.

See the last link in post one here.
Repair threads and links by PigSquealer
Tech/maintenance - Repair threads and links by PigSquealer
 
So, I have an Indiana Alto SN 37143, it looks like that would fall somewhere between 1943 and 1951... it's a "The Indiana by Martin", anyone have a guess to narrow that down a bit?
I don't remember where I got it but I have a pdf that lists known purchase dates of the Indiana line of instruments. It puts your serial number at 1947. Keep in mind that these are purchase dates not manufacture dates.

1763125812982.webp
 

Attachments

I completely understand how frustrating not being able to nail down the age / date is. These are great altos. Essentially a version of the original Handcraft.
Grrr, sticky pads that are new drive me nuts. Try a drop of zippo fluid on a Q-tip applied to pad & tone hole rim. Do this before playing.

See the last link in post one here.
Repair threads and links by PigSquealer
Tech/maintenance - Repair threads and links by PigSquealer
Thanks! I've got some zippo fluid at home (if it hasn't evaporated over the last 8 years since i stopped needing zippo fluid), I'll try it tonight.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Taming The Saxophone

Our other wonderful saxophone site where you can find loads of information about saxophones, saxophone playing (and players), accessories, mouthpieces, tone exercises, fingering exercises, jazz, rock & blues improvisation and lots more.

NB: CafeSaxophone articles are here


Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,295
Messages
577,015
Members
8,093
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom