support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Marc Jean Ligatures

Marc Jean saxophone ligature
Today I took delivery of my new Jean Marc soprano sax ligature, and have just been giving it a play with my usual set up of BW Bronze Curvie, Berg Larsen 70/1 ebonite and Marca 2.5 reeds. Having focussed a lot on soprano over the last few weeks, and preferring the sound of my Selmer 1 screw metal lig over my Vandoren Masters metal lig, I was quite amazed at the sound resulting from the JM metal ligature.

The sound was immediately more 3 dimensional, unbelievably tuneful and had a beautifully resonant tone too. It was so much easier to produce a sound than previously - quite effortless - and I continue to be amazed at how good the BW is.

I read Steve Neffs online review and some of the comments on SOTW, and have to concur with the results found. The ligature looks not unlike the Vandoren Optimum, is a one screw unlacquered metal ligature and has two thin, aparallel wooden structures built in to the part that holds the reed. Apparently Jean, whose main occupation is as an instrument repairer in Montreal, Canada, has done a lot of research into the physics of sound production and developed his ligature accordingly. His ligatures are custom made and he will ask what particular mouthpiece you use before selecting the right ligature design.

The ligatures cost 65 Canadian Dollars + 10 shipping (approx £45 in total). Mine arrived by post, with no VAT, import duty or anything to pay.

Jean does also make a Custom ligature for the PPT (someone in Canada commissioned it), and also for Link STM's.
So, an excellent product in my opinion that eclipses both the other metal ligatures I normally use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not dip the twigs in blood and dip briefly in the amazon. Piranahs should whittle them down nicely. Need to watch your fingers though.

I think I'm interested. Need to be careful, there are two different blanks at least.
The newer PPT baritones are actually wider as the bass clarinet ligs fit better.

However I think I'll try to source some rainforest-unfriendly cocktails sticks and see how they fair, perhaps fashioned in jacaranda or ipe... it'll mean a trip up the Amazon with a very large chainsaw and maybe a parrot on my shoulder but sometimes it's the effort you put in that pays dividends

You wouldn't find any difference, unless you have PandaPads™ on your saxophone.

Thanks for the reply

I hadn't clicked that a bespoke fit for a particular mouthpiece was integral to the success of this lig

The fact that you both say the same thing adds weight to this view

However I think I'll try to source some rainforest-unfriendly cocktails sticks and see how they fair, perhaps fashioned in jacaranda or ipe... it'll mean a trip up the Amazon with a very large chainsaw and maybe a parrot on my shoulder but sometimes it's the effort you put in that pays dividends

Bubinga seems like the wood to use for ligatures -
Alto sax bubinga

Last edited by a moderator:
There is just the thinner one and the fatter one. The length can vary a bit on any of them, but AFAIK the ring is the same on all.

I think I'm interested. Need to be careful, there are two different blanks at least.

I sent him dimensions of my PPT Signature—bought in July of this year—on Friday and await his response.

I sent him dimensions of my PPT Signature—bought in July of this year—on Friday and await his response.
Could you send them to me so I can check if you have one before or after the new external diameter. Marc would need to know if he is to supply these as fitting a Signature, as mentioned above the new ones are slightly wider.

Could you send them to me so I can check if you have one before or after the new external diameter. Marc would need to know if he is to supply these as fitting a Signature, as mentioned above the new ones are slightly wider.

Working from Marc's 'Measurements of mpc .doc' diagram, and with my preferred ligature—a Rovner 3RL—in its usual position, I measured:

A1 = 32.3mm
A2 = 27.0mm
B1 = 34.2mm
B2 = 29.9mm

with my trusty digital calliper.

Could you send them to me so I can check if you have one before or after the new external diameter.

To clarify my earlier comment: I bought my PPT Signature baritone mouthpiece brand new, from you, on July 21st of this year, so it's whatever you were selling then.

I'll measuer mine tonight and compare. But - lig position and width will affect the measurements. How wide is your lig, and how/where do you normally align it? It'd be easier if you can refer tot eh ring marking around the mouthpiece

Back
Top Bottom