support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Looking for a wind band / big band suitable for relative novice

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in Cumbria
Café Supporter
Locality
Penrith, Cumbria, UK
I've been thinking of joining a wind band / big band for a while (especially as Trimmy seems to be having so much fun!).

I thought I had cracked it with a group in Shrewsbury that has a beginners / novices group that meets on Sundays. Having wasted a 50 mile round trip and nearly 2 hours driving, I'm looking to see if there are alternatives.

I am fairly flexible - I am near Cheshire / N. Wales and N. Staffs borders and I work in mid Cheshire.

Suggestions gratefully received.

The Orchestra rehearsals I attend are here TLO Home. Not sure how novice you are, I struggle with the main orchestra (am learning loads though).

They are a very friendly bunch and very welcoming but don't know if it is close enough for you or indeed what you are looking for.

Jx

Last edited:
Concert venues are not that big an issue - you go where the gigs are!

The challenges include my existing commitments: Mondays (8 - 10) chamber choir; Wednesdays (7.30 - 9.30) choral society; Saturday (9 - 10.15) beginners' orchestra (sax); Saturday (10.30 - 13.30) community orchestra (cello).

Some good suggestions. I used to live in Cheshire and I still work near Knutsford, and my singing lessons used to be in Sale, so I know roughly where the various places are.

Need to think this through.

Concert venues are not that big an issue - you go where the gigs are!

The challenges include my existing commitments: Mondays (8 - 10) chamber choir; Wednesdays (7.30 - 9.30) choral society; Saturday (9 - 10.15) beginners' orchestra (sax); Saturday (10.30 - 13.30) community orchestra (cello).

Some good suggestions. I used to live in Cheshire and I still work near Knutsford, and my singing lessons used to be in Sale, so I know roughly where the various places are.

Need to think this through.

Challenge indeed fitting anything else in. >:)

Good luck:)

Jx

I think we are too far for you in Cannock but its an option if you fancy it.
Martin.

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone from Thailand will read this but if someone do so, I live in Pattaya/Rayong area and I am also interested in join some rehearsals... even if I would have to travel to Bangkok.... :D

Thanks!

I think we are too far for you in Cannock but its an option if you fancy it.
Martin.
Sorry for slow response. Thanks for that. It's nearer than Maghull! About 40 miles / hour's drive.

This is a cut from a previous post:

http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/index.htm
http://www.windbanddirectory.co.uk/
http://www.bandsman.co.uk/index.htm

Bandsman website seems down at the moment.. AO already suggested in this post... WB has three listed in Shropshire, including Shrewsbury which meets on Thursday (different perhaps as you mention Sunday?...) - I think it is quite likely that there are windbands available, just got to find them... your actual town would assist?!
good luck - I believe it will be worth it!

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I bit the bullet and went to Shrewsbury tonight - they seem a nice bunch. Quite big - 50 or maybe even 60? I am used to phalanxes of clarinets (we have up to 8 in the orchestra) but I have never seen a WALL of alto saxes before - there must have been 12 - 15 of them! I took my tenor and there were 7 of us.

Some unusual instruments such as cor anglais and a bass clarinet too.

Pleased to hear you are sorted.:)

Jx

Sounds super, what's the name, do they have a website? It's nice to hook up with local bands.

Ha ha

No. The group I've joined don't do very many concerts.