support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Let's find a new language for the Café

If the language was to change then it should be to a language based on no known language, one that no one can speak or read or write. That way we start from a position of equality for all, not giving preference to any race, creed, colour or nationality.

Last edited:
We should also respect the Earth's resources in our use of it so instead of using this power hungry electronic medium we should use telepathy.

We should also respect the Earth's resources in our use of it so instead of using this power hungry electronic medium we should use telepathy.
Thoughts being broadcast, no one should know what I am thinking. Not even me. :old:

I barely get by in my native tongue.
Somehow, you have overcome that barrier 14000 times. :D
When we settle on the one we're going to use it's probably going to be quiet around here for a while.
Silence is golden.
We can agree on a transition period to give people time to become fluent.
147 years should be sufficient, seen from my point of view.
Patience is a virtue.
If the language was to change then it should be to a language based on no known language, one that no one can speak or read or write. That way we start from a position of equality for all, not giving preference to any race, creed, colour or nationality.
Darn, I was hoping it would be sufficient that the language be unknown to members of the forum.
I always assumed felines communicated in this manner.

I really appreciate the growing interest in finding a new language for the forum!

The less reference made to those educated in public schools who delight in quoting Latin, the better.
Whilst I understand the reasoning... some of us didn't go to public school, but still learnt Latin. If a few more people were aware of what various classical authors wrote, e.g. about society and politics, they might realise that a)there's nothing new, and b)this is a repeat and this is what happens as a result of that...

Whilst I understand the reasoning... some of us didn't go to public school, but still learnt Latin. If a few more people were aware of what various classical authors wrote, e.g. about society and politics, they might realise that a)there's nothing new, and b)this is a repeat and this is what happens as a result of that...
I agree. I think we understand each other’s reasoning!

GCE O level Latin was a requirement for going to university in the 60's.
I don't know when it changed, probably when the rest of the educational standards were lowered.

• Agree
Reactions: Sue
I guess it was dropped when they stopped the university entrance exam - which I think was 1971? We used to do the old Use of English papers as part of O Level English when I was in 4th form - so 1974/5...

I really appreciate the growing interest in finding a new language for the forum!
But slow progress.

I've an alternative suggestion

Soprano: ##$
Alto: #$
Tenor: b$
Bari: bb$

Short, quick and to the point

Bianary code. Artificial Intelligence.

Ive found most intelligence on earth to be artificial.

But slow progress.

I've an alternative suggestion

Soprano: ##$
Alto: #$
Tenor: b$
Bari: bb$

Short, quick and to the point
I like it! How do you separate a curved from a straight soprano?

I like it! How do you separate a curved from a straight soprano?
##$/ and ##$| (passive form or ##$— in the active form)?

So:
I have a (straight) soprano: Æ ##$|
I'm playing straight soprano: Æ ##$—
I have a (curved) soprano: Æ ##$/
I'm playing curved soprano: Æ ##$√

Last edited:
In a eureka moment, I have produced a brilliant solution that will satisfy everyone. For members too set in their ways to adapt to innovation and progress, English will be permitted when meeting face to face. Classicists will be allowed to exchange PM's in latin. For regular forum posts, members can freely express themselves providing they only use emojis and/or vowels not found in the English alphabet, with the exception that "soprano" must be either "ææææ" or a combination of the following four emojis: :mad::confused::eek:>:). Finally, :cat: members can use telepathy at their leisure, as nobody else will know, let alone understand. Rules will be effective as of next April 1st to give ample time to practice. Thanks to everyone for their highly constructive suggestions. Now onto the lesser problems facing planet Earth...

Cafés is hardly something that the English have invented and yet everything here is communicated in English. It is not fair, as many of us are not native English speakers and struggle with all the ambiguities, duplicities, nuances, presumptions, etc, etc. It is also getting tiresome with the same old, same old. Hence, I propose that we find a new language for the Café that we all can learn together and communicate in henceforth. It will provide a level playing field for all and is good brain gymnastics. Of course, the new language should not be something that many here already speak, such as Australian, Canadian, French, German, Kiwi or Swahili. It has to be something entirely...different. My personal opinion is that it would be best that I chose the new language, but being of such an open-minded nature, I am willing to listen to suggestions. Also, there is of course the slight caveat that I sadly don't make the decisions here. Irrespectively, I propose Toki Pona. Apparently, it only has about 100 words and it is all down to combining them in an effective manner, hence making my point about brain gymnastics. Saxophone in Toki Poni doesn't exist, so we would have to be a bit inventive there. For starters, musical instrument is "ilo kalama musi". "Siko" means curve or bend. Thus, we could agree on "ilo kalama musi siko" and we would be up an running. "Suli" is big and "lili" means small (kind of cute, I think). If we agree on just SATB and none of them silly sized saxophones, then we would have the following names for the four sizes:

Soprano = lili lili ilo kalama musi siko
Alto = suli lili ilo kalama musi siko
Tenor = lili suli ilo kalama musi siko
Baritone = suli suli ilo kalama musi siko

So anyway, who do you think the new language should be?

In a eureka moment, I have produced a brilliant solution that will satisfy everyone. For members too set in their ways to adapt to innovation and progress, English will be permitted when meeting face to face. Classicists will be allowed to exchange PM's in latin. For regular forum posts, members can freely express themselves providing they only use emojis and/or vowels not found in the English alphabet, with the exception that "soprano" must be either "ææææ" or a combination of the following four emojis: :mad::confused::eek:>:). Finally, :cat: members can use telepathy at their leisure, as nobody else will know, let alone understand. Rules will be effective as of next April 1st to give ample time to practice. Thanks to everyone for their highly constructive suggestions. Now onto the lesser problems facing planet Earth...
:cat:

Back
Top Bottom